• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV and EMP Prep

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnspies

Good Morning,
I've come across a CUCV a friend is selling and wonder what it would take to make it an EMP-proof vehicle? I'm still getting details so sorry for vagueness; I do know it's a diesel and pretty certain a M1009; early 80's. He said there are virtually no electronics onboard but it does start with a key so perhaps it has an electronic start?

thanks for taking the time.....John

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2003 EMP Commission report tested through 2002 model year. Over half continued to run with no issues, most of the rest simply needed to be started again and they were fine. Only three percent of vehicles needed something more and they were post 2000 models. And some of those could run, but the radio and navigation functions were knocked out. YMMV, but I suspect it's pretty much a non-issue.

johnspies

I did read that and don't necessarily disagree as I'm not educated in the field. However, I intend to buy another vehicle anyway so figure I might get something that covers this issue just in case. I'm also considering a CJ5 or CJ7 as they're easy to get, parts easy to find and with some research, I figure I could get it to be 'emp proof' by replacing some electronics. The worst case is I have to buy spare parts and put them in a Faraday Cage/Ammo Box.
Thanks for reading and responding.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't like the sound of that, did I piss someone off? If it's going to be some sort of ****show, just don't bother. I'll take my questions someplace else.
Ummmm.... if I remember correctly, it is against forum rules to post anything about EMP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks