• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

alternator question

319cssb

This one is mostly for CUCVRus.
The previous owner spliced the wire from the driver side alternator (I assume it's the exciter wire) and ran a bypass to the pass side alternator and cut the black wire , which originally went to that alternator.
I want to take that splice off and see what Issue I am going to find unattended. I assume that one alternator needs to be rebuild and just doesn't put out enough voltage and that someone tied both together.
But I am not sure.
What is your thought on why someone did this change in wiring?

OBTW; reason whyI am doing this is that I have the sneaky suspicion that the the charge system does not put out enough charging power. And i like things to be the way they have been intended to be.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The picture of the alternator plug shows the crimp splice is on the #1 regulator terminal. That is the exciter terminal and turns on the regulator. I don't think you can tie alternator #1 and #2 together this way on the original isolated ground system. Does the other end of the jumper go to terminal #1 on the drivers side alternator?

Do you know if the truck is converted to 12 volts for the starter and glow plugs?

319cssb

I am clueless. Looks like some hack job to me. I have no idea why they done it. Do both Gen 1 and Gen 2 lights work?
I see the gen 1 light come on when I start her and the rpm hasn't exited the alternator yet. When i raise the engine rpm a little it gors and stays off.
So I know the gen 1 light works. Not sure about gen 2, ill see what will happen once I return it to normal.

MarcusOReallyus

I'm with tow4. First verify it's still 24v, then go from there. I"m guessing something wasn't workings, and a hack job was how the PO 'solved' the problem.

I take it you want to put it back stock and troubleshoot from there? If so, I think you are going the right direction. Trying to unravel someone else's hack job is just going to be frustrating. You'll be trying to guess how someone misunderstood the system. Rots a ruck with that! :D

TGP (IL)

Looks to me that Alt2 lost it's exciter circuit, so he tapped Alt 1 circuit to excite #2.also.
Providing the Gen 1 light on the dash works, and Gen 2 doesn't.
After you unhook that mess trouble shoot Alt 2 circuit.

Tom

319cssb

I'm with tow4. First verify it's still 24v, then go from there. I"m guessing something wasn't workings, and a hack job was how the PO 'solved' the problem.

I take it you want to put it back stock and troubleshoot from there? If so, I think you are going the right direction. Trying to unravel someone else's hack job is just going to be frustrating. You'll be trying to guess how someone misunderstood the system. Rots a ruck with that! :D
I know the truck is 24v. But CUCVRus is right the wire didn't make sense and when I cut it out and placed it back exactly nothing happened. Just started like normal

319cssb

Looks to me that Alt2 lost it's exciter circuit, so he tapped Alt 1 circuit to excite #2.also.
Providing the Gen 1 light on the dash works, and Gen 2 doesn't.
After you unhook that mess trouble shoot Alt 2 circuit.

Tom
Tom after reading your post, I'll go out there and check if both alternators charge as they are supposed to at the battery.
So here it is:
Gen 1 charges 14,53v at the front battery
Gen 2 charges 12,6xV at the rear battery

I think the Gen 2 voltage regulator is toast. If I measure from the alt plus to ground, I get 27v. If I measure from alt plus to battery ground I get 12,5v

Last edited:

TGP (IL)

12.6V at rear battery shows Alt 2 is not charging or Very little.
It's normal to see 24+volts at the output stud of Alt 2.
Even though it's a 12V Alt you will have 24+ volts there.
That's where the Isolated ground comes into play and makes
It so hard for people to wrap there head around this system.

Troubleshoot the Alt.2 plug and see if you have 12v there.
I bet the small brown wire is dead.
If you have no Gen2 light with Ign. on there is were your problem is.

Use the TM to trouble shoot the system.
Tom

319cssb

Gen 2 is not charging. Not even a little.

what is the 'alt 2 plug'?
I don't have a gen 2 light with Ign.on. So where is my problem?

TGP (IL)

The plug I'm referring to is the plug at the Alt with two small wires,
Where the PO tapped.
The missing capacitor has nothing to do with it not charging.
It's only for radio interference.

Could be numerous reason why Gen 2 don't light.

Problem with bulb or socket, wiring,Gen2 relay, fuse, etc.
That's why you need to read and study, then follow the troubleshoot tree in the
TM

Tom

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The plug I'm referring to is the plug at the Alt with two small wires,
Where the PO tapped.
The missing capacitor has nothing to do with it not charging.
It's only for radio interference.

Could be numerous reason why Gen 2 don't light.

Problem with bulb or socket, wiring,Gen2 relay, fuse, etc.
That's why you need to read and study, then follow the troubleshoot tree in the
TM

Tom
And have a multi-meter.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Test alternator #2 on the truck with the engine running by running a jumper wire from the alternator's B+ terminal to regulator terminal #1. This will turn on the regulator and the alternator will charge if it works.

319cssb

So I checked the lightbulb and it was ok
I cleaned the lightbulb holder with my fiber glass pencil and put grease on it.
I swapped the voltmeter repay for the Gen 2 relay and the voltmeter still worked.
I cleaned the Relay contacts with the fiberglass pencil and put grease on the contacts.
I checked the 10 amp fuse again, but I knew it was working. (I have these LED fuses that light up, if they are blown)

Ign.on had gen 2 light.
Start truck Gen 1 charging , Gen 2 charging

319cssb

I believe it had a bad connection at the lightbulb, either the bulb itself or the holder. I looked at the Schematics and it looks like the Gen 2 wouldn't charge with the bulb not working (making good contact).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks