• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blew out transmission maybe

DB556

Well going to get pull out trans very soon, along with some front leafs to single out the rear.
Now its a debate if I want to put in a new clutch disc and 3 arm pressure plate while I have the trans out.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, you will have the tranny out. Unless your clutch is near new upon inspection, why would you not change it NOW? Unless you simply enjoy pulling the tranny. Same for rear main seal and housing. Now is the time to inspect for leaks and for housing mods done (drain holes on inside). If suspicious....change.

DB556

When you say housing mods? do you mean to the rear main seal etc?

Well I got the pallet with the new to me 3053a! Getting my skidsteer started was a bit of a problem but, once the wisconsin engine gets running my new holland L425 does the work.
Got it back to the house got the pallet unloaded, my front springs for the 4x4 conversion. Parking brake lever to replace the whale tail. Now need to get the cable.
And one nice olive drab 3053a pulled from a parted m35a2, I pulled the top cover no slop in the gears, syncro look good. there was a little rust on some of the gear teeth.
Now its time to make a little rig to lower the old blown transmission down and out.

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, you will have the tranny out. Unless your clutch is near new upon inspection, why would you not change it NOW? Unless you simply enjoy pulling the tranny. Same for rear main seal and housing. Now is the time to inspect for leaks and for housing mods done (drain holes on inside). If suspicious....change.
Meh, Crusher bought a new clutch kit while at one of the mvpa national meets. Somewhere here on SS was a discussion about clutch thickness. Crusher went out and measured his new clutch vs one we had from a parted out truck, the used clutch had more meat on it! New does not mean better imho.

DB556

Well I'll see how thick the clutch disc is if I can get down there today and make a hoist to help pull the transmission.
Well that is after I throw all the future engineers of america out of lab for waiting till the week before finals to start there capstone projects.

DB556

Well I finally got down to the truck the other day, and the transmission is out! It only took some used 2x4's and a pile of deck screws and a harbor freight chain hoist.
Easiest transmission pull I've ever done, no swearing, no heaving, no trying to bench press a and wondering if its going to slip and they find me under my jeep some time later.

Now that I have transmission out I found a ton of dust in there and some wear on the flywheel and pressure plate, now to find out how much where is too much.
As for the clutch got a 5 puck in there and it seems a thickness of 0.404" outside to outside of the friction pads.
There was some wear on the pilot bushing so I grabbed a new one, but its a bit too long so I'll turn it down at work tomorrow.
Then its time to get the transmission in Saturday I can wait to drive this truck and break something else...

Pictures first some A grade carpentry, clutch, flywheel, etc, clutch thickness, and then for your viewing pleasure, pulling the body off of a bug with paracord.

Attachments

Last edited:

davidb56

Please post pictures of the damaged transmission teardown when you get to it. It would be interesting to determine the cause, and the input shaft bearing condition in relation to pilot bearing wear.

DB556

I finally got the transmission is last night at 11:30 during a thunder storm laying down in the grass that was a wet soggy mess!
Got the shafts in today, and found the grass was also a bunch of little poison ivy plants starting to grow in it....
I then got a tarp to lay on and changed the oil in all the diffs, tcase, and trans finding 2 5 gallon buckets of 80-90 in MT-1 spec was hard but rural king had them.
Greased all the ujoints, I need to grease the rear drive hubs after taking if for a few mile drive the rear driver side hubs were much hotter than the rest, Guess it time to grease them.

I think they had ATF in the tcase maybe? if wasn't as thin as usual ATF it was gear oil thick, but was still bright red?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks