• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 hard-top D-ring + hoist

kallisti5

Thinking of doing a modification I've seen a lot of camper shell folks do.
The hard-top on the K5 is unruly to remove/put on by yourself, and I hate dragging buddies over constantly to remove/apply it.

Does anyone have any thoughts about doing something like this to the M1009?
https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/173933-installed-used-cap-on-2014-silverado/

Pretty much, find the balance point for the shell, and put a small low-profile d-ring shackle on the roof. (with lots of horizontal support under)

I've heard camper shell weights from 180lb to 300lb. Does anyone have an exact weight number for the M1009?
(I want to make sure i'm not risking ripping a hole in the fiberglass.)

nyoffroad

I've removed a lot of truck caps and never had them weigh anywhere near 300lbs. But I do like the idea but instead of one D ring in the center and haveing it swing and twist around while mounting/dismounting. I'd use four of them mounted on the sides, less water leaks and you could use them as cargo tie downs. Paint them OD and many people would think the army did that. Or put on a HD roof rack and left useing that.
Be aware! the fiberglass roof adds a lot of stregnth to the body and i
f you have rusty rocker panels that it may sag when you open the doors! Common thing here in NY with K5 Blazers

mrfunk76

I’m wondering if anyone knows how thick the top is thinking about hanging some things on the roof but don’t what to drill to far an end up with a hole in the roof

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks