• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

headers on m1008 w/ 454 advise

i have a 86 m1008 with a 454 sm465 np208 and recently removed the rusted broken exhaust manifolds. i got hooker comp headers for it and put them on. my question is i had to remove the front pinion snubber and the transfer case brace rod to get them to fit, am i asking for trouble leaving these off? also the pass header is about 1mm away from the frame brace. should i just get chevelle manifolds instead? any info/experience on this will be appreciated

ehuppert

Pinion snubber is not an issue... Had to remove recently on my restoration/frame replacement w/sbc, but haven't driven it yet. As far as i understand, the transfer case rod was not installed on the turbo 400's on the 1008's, so wouldn't think it's an issue with a SM465.

As for the frame brace, if it were me I'd pull out the grinder and make a little clearance! (grind brace!)

i am just kinda worried about taking strength out of the truck, its main job is work, i haul scrap metal with it. if it'll be ok without the brace and the snubber i'd like to run headers but if its questionable to remove these id rather not. did the civi k30's have the brace rod and snubber?

86m1028

i am just kinda worried about taking strength out of the truck, its main job is work, i haul scrap metal with it. if it'll be ok without the brace and the snubber i'd like to run headers but if its questionable to remove these id rather not. did the civi k30's have the brace rod and snubber?
Your good to go without the pinion snubber.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
None of my civi chevys had the pinion snubber, but they all had the braces. The 400 turbos and the 4 speeds both had them.

ehuppert

Did a little googling after replying yesterday (like to be semi-educated).... From what i could gather, the TH350s supposedly had weaker bell housings and could break under hard use. This may have been the same deal with early 700r4's. The CUCVs had the HD stamped on the trans cases and may have been stronger, hence not an issue. I remember when these replaced the Dodges. Saw these in use for years, some hard, but not necessarily abusive use and never a cracked TH400.

Not sure of the integrity of the SM465 bell housings, but they were a HD trans and would ASSUME bell housings were adequate. If you're overly concerned i would jump to one of the other squarebody forums and ask there. (May be more SM465 knowledge there)

i looked into it a little more also, they seem to have been mostly for the th350's cracking bellhousings. i have found info both ways- that u need to use one and that some are ok without the brace rod (excluding th350 trucks). hard to find info on it specific to sm465. mine has aluminum bellhousing

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks