• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NHC250 blows?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hmmm...check this out: https://www.amazon.com/Miles-Everco...eeze-Gallon/dp/B00YUL3N72#feature-bullets-btf

Green, does not say anything about "extended life", comes precharged with SCA, but you do have to add water.
EDIT: Nope, I was wrong. It does say "extended life" but doesn't really explain how or why.

Geeze, I think 319cssb has probably found the best stuff. The description clearly states "conventional" and "for older vehicles" as well as "light duty diesel applications."
All of the coolants I found on Wal-Mart's pages are ELC.
You are looking for glycol low silicate

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the topic of coolant, does it have life span in the vehicle? I have no idea how old mine is (as old as the trucks last military service possibly) but if I drain it and strain it and if it tests out to provide enough freezing protection can it just be reused? Does it break down over time and become acidic or corrosive?

319cssb

On the topic of coolant, does it have life span in the vehicle? I have no idea how old mine is (as old as the trucks last military service possibly) but if I drain it and strain it and if it tests out to provide enough freezing protection can it just be reused? Does it break down over time and become acidic or corrosive?
I think the PH test strips help you to determine that.

Scrounger

Coolant does wear out. Fresh coolant has an additive package that protects the cooling system from corrosion and provides lubrication for the water pump bearing. Over time the additives get used up.

One way to tell is by using PH strips.

The old standby method was to check the freeze point with a Duo-Check and then check the PH with test strips.

Commercial over the road trucks frequently have coolant filters, and replacement filters come with an additive package in them.

While one could install a coolant filter and add an additive package, for most of the owners of these vehicles that is not necessary. A yearly check with a Duo-Check and checking the PH will more than suffice.

Iceman3005

You could use waterless coolant! Then you avoid having to mess with ph, and cavitation all together.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Iceman3005

I thought so. No need to mess with ph, no cavitation, and it has a lifetime warranty, never needs changing, won't cause corrosion or rust inside engine, no pressure when its hot, it doesn't expand. So there isn't any pressure on any thing! I can open reservoir when engine is at operating temp.

319cssb

I have to admit. It does sound appealing.
How about engine temperature? Is there a difference in coolant temperature?
And what is covered under the lifetime warranty? engine failure due to coolant? or just the coolant itself?

I think I'll give it a try on my CUCV

Iceman3005

Engine and the coolant are covered As far as temp, it runs about 10 degrees cooler, was running 180-190 and now it runs about 170-175. I replaced the radiator, thermostat, and added a heater core.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My water manifold has the black sludge that others have experienced so I'm going to do a flush/ clean with fresh coolant. However, when my heater fitting sprung a leak it left rust streaks all over my truck. I'm trying to remember what rust indicates- cavitation or electrolysis? If I get my coolant mixture back where it should be will the rust issue go away?

20190914_161814.jpg 20190914_161750.jpg

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yes it will go away. You will have a hard time getting it all out. Pull the manifold and use electrolysis on it to get it clean. Or buy another

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks