• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NHC250 blows?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, you WANT low silicate. If you use coolant that is not low silicate, you get silicate drop out which makes water pump seals leak and causes mud in the system and can plug a radiator. Try and avoid red, orange, pink ELC. The rubber components in the old engines, including liner o-rings, do not like it. The rubber swells and deteriorates causing coolant leaks at the water rail, oil cooler bundle o-rings, the liner o-rings, etc. Liner o-rings that go away equals coolant in the oil and the OC bundle o-rings equal oil in the coolant. Also, keep in mind, the afore mentioned colored ELCs do not like to mix with themselves and especially glycol based coolants. Glycol and ELC will turn black and turn to a thin jelly like and is damm near impossible to get out once it turns. HOWEVER, Cummins does make a coolant that is glycol based AND an ELC and, it will mix with all other coolants, it turns dark, but does not gel. It ain't cheap either, I think it was around $30. a gallon for concentrate. It comes in concentrate and 50/50 mix. And you want the ES stuff.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will, thanks for that info.

So this NAPA stuff is a pinkish color and does mention an extended life of sorts so I think I'll steer clear of it. The Cummins stuff sounds nice but is a bit on the spendy side.
20200429_110128.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Green concentrated from Walmart is $9 a gal. $1 a gal for distilled water. $9 a bottle for the SCA additive

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Where can the SCA be found outside of truck shops? My NAPA doesn't have it.
Hd20016 is their part number. Should be a next day available item from their warehouse. You need 2 bottle if starting with 2 coolant.

Otherwise a charged coolant filter would be an option if you have a filter setup

Or HD20064 for the large bottle of sca additive

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will, thanks for that info.

So this NAPA stuff is a pinkish color and does mention an extended life of sorts so I think I'll steer clear of it. The Cummins stuff sounds nice but is a bit on the spendy side.
View attachment 798255
Says it is e-Glycol based and compatible with ANY conventional coolant. I would say it is good to go with a green or blue coolant, POSSIBLY the Dexcool, Cat ELC, etc stuff. Easy way to tell is to mix this and a regular coolant and boil it. If it gels no good. If it turns dark but no thickening, GTG.

Ajax MD

This whole conversation is why I just did what Wes says, and ran the cheap, green coolant. It won't last as long, but it's safe.
I bought gallon jugs of Fleetguard DCA4 here: https://shop.moderngroup.com/dca70l-chemicals-dca4-liq/

Yes, it was annoying to have to wait for it in the mail but I went cross-eyed trying to verify that other brands were compatible with the engine.

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Or HD20064 for the large bottle of sca additive " That's good info- I'll pick up a 1/2 gallon of the SCA on the way to my truck next week. Any one have a Napa pn (or any parts house) for good coolant test strips (ph and/or SCA testing) to go along with this?

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had searched Napa for 'coolant test ph strips' and didn't get the above because it's list under 'coolant test kit'.

<sigh.......>

thanks, Wes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks