• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaf and Rodent Protection for my 803

csheath

I originally set my 803 on the ground and it has been sucking leaves up into the engine compartment. Add to that a squirrel has decided it looked like a fun place to store and eat acorns. Fortunately he did not munch on any wires.

I was also wanting to drag it out to remove the top and wash the radiator out. It had some fins clogged with dirt that I overlooked when I first set it up. I drug it out from under the shed to remove the top and give it a good cleaning.

A friend was giving away some 12" pavers so I put a layer of those down where the generator resides. I used my front end loader with some clamp on forks and trailer straps to position the generator on the pads.

IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

I decided to add the hardware cloth to the skid openings rather than put it underneath where I can't monitor it. This way I can see if it's getting full of leaves. On the side holes I have just cut it large enough it holds itself in place but I plan to add some screws to make sure it stays. On the front end I pried up one corner at a time with a crowbar and put it under the skid then I folded it up and attached it with screws. On the fuel tank end I also put it under the skids but I screwed the wire to a piece of aluminum channel then attached it to the skids on the ends. (didn't want to screw up and drill into the tank)

IMG_0989.jpg

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0993.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

I still need to cover the large holes on the case with some 1/4" hardware cloth.

csheath

Squirrel probably entered through that square hole in the bottom of the case. My batteries cover the other 2 round holes.
The problem I might have if I covered that hole is it could get clogged with leaves and I wouldn't know it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks