• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about wheels types....

exhogflyer

Ok, first let me say I HAVE searched but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. My question is : is there SOMEWHERE an article or list that explains the different wheel types? In other words, I'm reading how a HEMTT wheel might fit on a deuce but with some kind of adapter, but some other type of wheel just bolts on without problems but trouble is I HAVE NO IDEA what these wheel types are. Add to the mix that some 5 ton wheels might fit but you need "this" if it's a "that". Thanks!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, first let me say I HAVE searched but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. My question is : is there SOMEWHERE an article or list that explains the different wheel types? In other words, I'm reading how a HEMTT wheel might fit on a deuce but with some kind of adapter, but some other type of wheel just bolts on without problems but trouble is I HAVE NO IDEA what these wheel types are. Add to the mix that some 5 ton wheels might fit but you need "this" if it's a "that". Thanks!
Any thing other than stock lock ring wheels and M35A3 wheels (super singles) will require adapter plates .

greg burns

exhogflyer:
Another option is to buy aftermarket wheels from somewhere like Boyce Equipment Co in Utah. They have two different wheel designs that fit the Deuce. They are pricey but you don't have to buy any adapter plates or the hardware to mount the adapter plates. Long's Wheel in Florida also used to sell custom wheels for Deuces.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
exhogflyer:
Another option is to buy aftermarket wheels from somewhere like Boyce Equipment Co in Utah. They have two different wheel designs that fit the Deuce. They are pricey but you don't have to buy any adapter plates or the hardware to mount the adapter plates. Long's Wheel in Florida also used to sell custom wheels for Deuces.
Red Barn Customs has aftermarket deuce wheels also but they are approved for highway use by the D.O.T.
That is the thing you need to verify in aftermarket wheels.

Fatalid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The most common seems to be MRAP wheels on adapter plates. Several companies and individuals manufacture adapter plates that go from the 6 lug 2.5 ton Rockwell hub to the 10 bolt MRAP wheel.

In reality, if you have the ability (or know someone who does) to CNC adapter plates, then you're only limited by the fact that the inside clearance of the wheel has to leave enough room for the 6 original lugs.

Otherwise, stick with A3 rims (direct bolt-on), or MRAP wheels and adapters (most common, and thus most available)

Fatalid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took some pics -

If you aren't getting bolt-on wheels, and are thinking of having adapters made, the inside opening needs to be approx 11" to allow for the original lug nuts to mount to the adapter plates. Just FYI

IMG_0994.jpgIMG_0995.jpg

So if you're thinking of being "creative" with your wheel choice, your only limiting factors are the center opening, and the actual wheel size (can't really go smaller than stock, or they will hit brake assemblies)

exhogflyer

I'm trying to learn the wheel types so I can make an intelligent decision :)lol:) when I finally pop for super singles. Guys, I DO appreciate the good info!

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm trying to learn the wheel types so I can make an intelligent decision :)lol:) when I finally pop for super singles. Guys, I DO appreciate the good info!
As you can tell from the replies, there are a lot of options.

You might want to think about what kind of look or what you want to use the truck for, list your budget and ask specific questions. Also, some of these options might need to be done by yourself as they may entail liability issues (for instance, I doubt many (any?) tire shops would even touch an adapter plate) and this might also affect what you want.

I'd suggest an image web search to see what people have done, get some ideas, then ask more specific questions. For instance, even among super singles, there are several different options.

Tire-wise, the stock NDT's to 46" (if you're sticking with 3 axles) and stuff in between. If you are going to bob your deuce, you could go even larger.

Wheel-wise, whatever works. These aren't Ferrari's, where even a little offset can be problematic, there's quite a bit of leeway in what you can do.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any thing other than stock lock ring wheels and M35A3 wheels (super singles) will require adapter plates .
Not true.
MLVW wheels perfect fit and DOT stamped.
The MLVW wheels are 5 degree flange. They are 6,000 lb rated unlike the A3 wheel which are rated at 4,000 lbs.
They like most tires.

Attachments

Last edited:

MudMarine

I took some pics -

If you aren't getting bolt-on wheels, and are thinking of having adapters made, the inside opening needs to be approx 11" to allow for the original lug nuts to mount to the adapter plates. Just FYI

View attachment 760546View attachment 760547

So if you're thinking of being "creative" with your wheel choice, your only limiting factors are the center opening, and the actual wheel size (can't really go smaller than stock, or they will hit brake assemblies)
Man if you were closer I'd buy these from you

Fatalid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not true.
MLVW wheels perfect fit and DOT stamped.
The MLVW wheels are 5 degree flange. They are 6,000 lb rated unlike the A3 wheel which are rated at 4,000 lbs.
They like most tires.
Yup... Forgot about Canada :)

Cgray

MRAP wheels?

These have an 13" spread instead of a 11" that the FMTVs have. Someone mentioned they may be from the newer Caimen or the RG31 variant. They are steel and their weight is over 100# each

IMG_1652.jpgIMG_1655.jpgIMG_1653.jpgIMG_1654.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks