• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parking brake install

Navy dude

So I am wondering if the replacement of a new parking brake is an easy bolt off and on proposition or is it a pita? I have the old style and it is a little beat without the safety release button. I would like to slap a new one in, but I already have plenty of projects on this thing that will take some wrestling around, hoping someone has done it and can report it an easy job.... thanks! I'll follow the TM's for the procedure, just wondering if there are any big gotchas other than chocking the truck so I dont run myself over.....

BLK HMMWV

Are you talking about just replacing the parking break lever itself or upgrading the parking break system from the old style ( disc on the rear drive shaft) to new style (replacing both rear disc calipers and installing new cables)
If your wanting to upgrade away from the single disc and caliper on rear drive shaft it's not a simple bolt in project.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replacing is easy.
Also order a new mounting rubber seal. Mine was shot.
Put in rivnuts and it will make it easier if you ever need to remove.

A very worth while safety upgrade. Even where I live, my truck rolled in my driveway in flat land. Very easy to bump and disengage original design.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine needs adjustment now that the warm weather is here.

Current E-brake slips so I have the two manual brakes on the M1101 holding her nice and firm.

I think working on your E-brake is a stellar idea, and it motivates me to do the same rather than relying on my wheel chocks and trailer.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine needs adjustment now that the warm weather is here.

Current E-brake slips so I have the two manual brakes on the M1101 holding her nice and firm.

I think working on your E-brake is a stellar idea, and it motivates me to do the same rather than relying on my wheel chocks and trailer.

All you have have to do is turn the knob on the end of the lever to adjust...

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All you have have to do is turn the knob on the end of the lever to adjust...
Gonna have to take apart and unfreeze. :(

Since I have owned it the darned thing has been frozen. [EDIT - The knob].

Gonna try heat BUT I think a soak in mild acid and then a soak in penetrating erl is gonna be required.

Last edited:

springer1981

Gonna have to take apart and unfreeze. :(

Since I have owned it the darned thing has been frozen. [EDIT - The knob].

Gonna try heat BUT I think a soak in mild acid and then a soak in penetrating erl is gonna be required.
Vinegar makes a great mild acid for removing rust.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks