• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PROBLEMS with New basic Hard Top Overhead Console for M35 military vehicles from TMG

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is going to be long and in depth so bear with me.

I recently purchased a “New basic Hard Top Overhead Console for M939 and M35 military vehicles” from Those Military Guys (TMG). Screenshot_20190403-095649.jpg(screenshot of the product)

(Now let’s not get bogged down by the fact that its M44 series not M35) I own a 1971 M35A2 with a standard issue hardtop, no mods, not fiberglass, not after market, a hardtop like many of your own.
My hard top secures to my body like everyone else’s does, two bolts above either wiper motor (air style), two outside bolts at the outside corners of the outer windshield frame and the dozens that hold the rear of the hardtop to the back of the tub. What my M35 and all stock M35s lack is two welded brackets that have J hooks going through them like the 900 series trucks have to hold down the hard top. This is only ONE of the mounting problems I have with this overhead console, as this item came with no instructions, mounting hardware or a way to secure the front of the mount to the hard top.
Screenshot_20190402-210353.jpgScreenshot_20190402-205815.jpgScreenshot_20190402-205749.jpg(screenshots of TMG setup and what the J hooks look like)

Now in TMG’s defense the mount does in fact attach to the rear of the hardtop with preexisting bolts that hold the two hardtop pieces together. Too bad the support bar at the middle rear of the hardtop gets in the way and the mount holes are so close to the frame of the console you can’t get a socket or box wrench over the bolt to tighten it up (I used a pair of vice grips, I know that was a bad move but at this point I was very frustrated).

Now I did contact TMG by email and called to address the situation, I was told that I should have the J hooks and that they didn’t understand that M35 trucks do not have them. (I emailed them pictures and diagrams from the -20 from 1991 showing them they didn’t exist).
Screenshot_20190411-150949_2.jpgScreenshot_20190403-172400_2.jpg
Now I said I would not be returning the product because I had stupidly started drilling and mounting my power inverter to it, no refund was offered by TMG but they did offer to make me an adapter and give me a quote for it. That’s right they wanted me to PAY THEM MORE MONEY to fix what was falsely advertised to work. After it was all was said and done they asked me that if I found a fix to let them know so they could use it…….

Side note to this, before I called them and before I got any more upset, I consulted my TMs and called experts. Now when I say experts I mean guys who have rebuilt and modified hundreds of these trucks over the years. I talked to my friend a retired Army CW3 that was a maintenance warrant that joined back in 72’ as a PVT turning wrenches on these babies, he knows everything about every service upgrade to my truck that the Army did and the size of darn near every bolt on her. Not a single person I asked said that a M35 or any of the variants in the M44 series of trucks had these J hooks.

Now I have tried to readdress the issue with TMG before posting my experience with them but my phone calls go unanswered. I even suggested revising the listing as it was misleading but it’s still up so I guess I was ignored.

This is not to slam them, this is not to start stuff with them, this is to inform everyone on here that this product from TMG will NOT work for your M44 series truck. I know I will not get this resolved, I do not intend legal action as it’s for a $110 part. I am not calling for a boycott or telling you to stay away from them all together, this is to inform others that this product may not or will not work with your M44 series truck.

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Phew! I had considered the very same product but could not quite make sense of the pictures ("doesn't look like in my truck") so I held off. Gut feeling proved right this time.

Back2Wyo

I have the same console and the same issue with my M35A2. My solution was to get 2 j hooks with nuts and washers. I mounted the J hook on the top side of the console bracket and hook it into the lip of my hard top. I also had contacted TMG and sent them photos showing them that I didn't have any brackets to mount the front to but never got any response, so I did my on solution.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the same console and the same issue with my M35A2. My solution was to get 2 j hooks with nuts and washers. I mounted the J hook on the top side of the console bracket and hook it into the lip of my hard top. I also had contacted TMG and sent them photos showing them that I didn't have any brackets to mount the front to but never got any response, so I did my on solution.
Thank you for the tip, not great that they have known about this issue and continue to sell and market them for the M35 type trucks

davidb56

You must be careful who you deal with. I try to check on negative feedback and recently I was ordering 4 rubber brake line hoses with a total weight of probably 5lbs, when I got to the shipping estimate for economy shipping, it was 61$. So i cancelled the order. One the other hand, a reputable company in Utah, gave me a quote on shipping 11 BIG M35 tires, which the cost breakdown on each tire, was less than HALF the cost of the 4 little light weight brake lines from the company on the other end of the country. Try to do as much research as possible first and you are less likely to be disappointed.

I just build what I need that way I know what I have. It costs when I make mistakes but live and learn. I made my own overhead console with plywood and an ammo can. Im a stickler for customer service. So thanks for the thread.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you bought a product from a vendor on this site please leave feedback for them on the SS feedback system.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you bought a product from a vendor on this site please leave feedback for them on the SS feedback system.
I got it on there website not from here, I did not see the product advertised here. Again this thread is to tell folks it won't work, it's not to start a hate club or a boycott.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got it on there website not from here, I did not see the product advertised here. Again this thread is to tell folks it won't work, it's not to start a hate club or a boycott.
Is it this one ;
NEW CUSTOM: Overhead consoles for M939, M35, and HMMWVs!

Started by Those Military Guys, 07-12-2016 15:46
[h=1]NEW CUSTOM: Overhead consoles for M939, M35, and HMMWVs![/h]

They are a vendor advertising on SS . The feedback system on SS is only good if people use it . They might realize they need to stand behind their products , Back2Wyo
contacted them with the same issue yet they told you they didn't know anything about no J hooks. Using feedback on SS can prevent other members from having problems with them . If they get enough less than good feedback someday they might actually start providing customer service . If you serch ThoseMilitaryGuys you will have plenty of reading on members that have had bad dealings with them . They also don't list their prices in classifieds even know it is a rule to use the classifieds.

Last edited:

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it this one ;
[h=3] NEW CUSTOM: Overhead consoles for M939, M35, and HMMWVs![/h] Started by Those Military Guys, 07-12-2016 15:46

They are a vendor advertising on SS . The feedback system on SS is only good if people use it . They might realize they need to stand behind their products , Back2Wyo
contacted them with the same issue yet they told you they didn't know anything about no J hooks. Using feedback on SS can prevent other members from having problems with them . If they get enough less than good feedback someday they might actually start providing customer service . If you serch ThoseMilitaryGuys you will have plenty of reading on members that have had bad dealings with them . They also don't list their prices in classifieds even know it is a rule to use the classifieds.
Fair enough, how does one do that exactly? I don't see a option for it.

I appreciate you posting this thread about the part not fitting as well as the customer service. I like to spend my hard earned money with companies that take care of there customers even after the sale and stand behind there products. I cant believe they wanted you to pay for a bracket that should have been included.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I appreciate you posting this thread about the part not fitting as well as the customer service. I like to spend my hard earned money with companies that take care of there customers even after the sale and stand behind there products. I cant believe they wanted you to pay for a bracket that should have been included.
I just want others to not make my mistakes, that half the reason I'm on here. The other half is to see what has worked for others 18 different ways.

BREAK///

Porky I figured out how to leave feedback.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fair enough, how does one do that exactly? I don't see a option for it.
Click on their name in one of the posts , that will bring up their profile page , it will "Feedback score click on that ,when the next screen pops up it will say " leave feedback
click on that and you will be able to leave feedback.

Attachments

Lust4GreenSteel

Did I read correctly that this vendor uses the classifieds on this site, but does not follow the rules (posting price). Why does the site admin staff allow this to happen?

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know if TMG actually pays attention to their customer service.

I recently ordered something from them, and almost immediately remembered that I didn't need one of the items I ordered. I immediately sent an e-mail (it was the middle of the night, so it wasn't like they were open and the ordered could've been filled) to cancel a portion of the order. They completely ignored my e-mail, never replied and sent my original order.

Lust4GreenSteel

Porky's screenshot answers my first question. But the second question (Why is this allowed) is still hanging in the air. Do vendors have different rules than other members?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks