• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any of you guys have your m1009 setup for Overlanding?

w5ood

I want to set my m1009 for overlanding. But would love to see some pictures of others guys setups. Rooftop tents and mounts, trailers, roof racks, lift kits, stock height but better shocks (what types) any cool changes inside the rig like comms, seats, consoles. Anything that you would change for overlanding or just weekend camp trips. I hope to get mine setup in the next 4 years so I am taking it slow and trying to make well thought out calculated decisions that will be effective and long lasting.

Dock Rocker

If you are planning on any serious traveling I would recommend a 4 speed transmission and some serious work in sound deadening and insulation.

With no air conditioning they are hot in the summer so the insulation will go a long way to keep it cool.

If you are going to be doing any trail riding a locker in the rear would be a great asset as well as a winch up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

w5ood

Thanks Dock. I agree the insulation is a definite upgrade. I dont plan on touching the transmission until it must be done. This trans works great and I dont mind running 65mph top speed. I thought the stock 1009 had a government locker already in the rear? Is that something I could swap out with a detroit locker to make it more reliable? Thanks for the reply.

cucvrus

I used several M1009's very hard. I broke 1 rear axle when I jumped it on a motocross track. I was in the hooptie hoops when the rear axle bent upward and the axle shaft broke. I wheeled the M1009's very hard and never broke anything other then that axle. I did it with stock size tires and no lift. Stock new shocks with a custom cross member for the transmission. That is what I always ended up smashing. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?144523-Terminus-M1009
Check out my thread. I gave up off roading since. I sold Terminus m1009 and moved on to other hobbies. It was an awesome off road rig. I also did several coast to coast trips in stock CUCV's. M1028A1 & M1009. Never had any issues. Of course they were 20 years newer then. Just maintain what you have and don't do every hack job recommended and it will serve you well. Good Luck. Any more questions ask away.

richingalveston

either keep it stock or go all out. one change requires another. bigger tires needs bigger axles.
definitely need insulation in the cab. removing the dash and insulating the fire wall makes a real difference in noise.
coast to coast in a screaming tin can is not a good trip without ear protection and in some states you cannot wear ear protection on both ears, it is a safety problem.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fiberglass top of a 1009 is not the best foundation to mount a RTT. You might build a cage connecting to sturdier parts of the frame/body but don't expect that top to support any weight especially off road.

w5ood

I have no desire to do extreme off roading. Ill keep it stock but will upgrade the suspension just for better ride and handling. Thanks for the info. to you all. I will definitely insulate so it keeps the noise down and heat down. Just an hour riding in it now can drive you nuts from the engine noise. I was worried about the fiber glass holding up a RTT. Maybe getting a cage would work or possible reinforce it from underneath.

forest522

Before they started calling it Overlanding, I was building my rig for this. It served my family and kids very well early on in its stock form...my son and I stripped the interior down and added some insulation. Recently I have added the Vintage Air system and installed a lot more insulation. Through some drama (mostly my own fault) I have carefully cleaned and labeled and gotten to know all the wiring in the rig. I have replaced a lot of it with heavier gauge to the batteries, starter and alternator.

After two cross country trips, a move from the pacific northwest to the southwest...I am calling this rig very reliable. Certainly not fast on the highway, but great on the back roads and forest roads.

I have built a trailer to match it. An old M116 gen set. It has an aluminum box that holds all the essentials. The whole rig is basically my hobby.

Its a great platform! I will try to post some photos soon...Forest522

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know what overlanding is but I have UHF and VHF comms (may be adding 10/11 meters soon) and a roof top tent rides on the top during the summer.

The fiberglass top is plenty strong enough for the roof rails and the tent.

Attachments

w5ood

Mainsail I love that setup. I was curious if the top could hold up a tent. I really love that radio setup. Im still only a technician but wouldn't mind going for general. Thanks a ton for the pictures, really nice setup. Do you have a roof rack under the tent? If so I would love to see some close up pictures if you have them. But thank you for these, they are great.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mainsail I love that setup. I was curious if the top could hold up a tent.
The tent weighs about 100# or so. I push it up on top of the truck by myself. The roof can easily hold the weight of the tent and two people inside.

Do you have a roof rack under the tent? If so I would love to see some close up pictures if you have them. But thank you for these, they are great.
Yes, just a standard generic roof rack. Each end of the roof rack is held with three bolts, and the spacing of them is such that one passes through one layer of the fiberglass top, the second bolt through two layers, and the third bolt through three layers. Look at the inside of the topper and you'll see what I mean.

This photo shows the Duke AIED antenna that I've repurposed to dual-band ham. You can also see the roof rack.

Attachments

w5ood

Mainsail I love everything about your setup. What kind of range are you getting with that antenna and radio? I am in the process of trying to get those same windows on the back with vent wings. I found a guy with a pair in dallas but shipping is not worth it. I dig your rig thanks for the information and pics it gives me some good ideas.

LT67

Thanks Dock. I agree the insulation is a definite upgrade. I dont plan on touching the transmission until it must be done. This trans works great and I dont mind running 65mph top speed. I thought the stock 1009 had a government locker already in the rear? Is that something I could swap out with a detroit locker to make it more reliable? Thanks for the reply.
The rear locker in the 10bolt rear was knicknamed Gov-Bomb for a reason.... if you can find a 14 bolt 6 lug semi floater rear axle, it's worth the coin to upgrade it.

Strych9x1

The rear locker in the 10bolt rear was knicknamed Gov-Bomb for a reason.... if you can find a 14 bolt 6 lug semi floater rear axle, it's worth the coin to upgrade it.
My rig is an over lander build in progress. This is exactly what I did. Basically the k30 blazer route. Hillbilly wizard regularly sells m1008 take out differentials on the cheep. You will have to move spring hangers (which they also sell, plus Ubolts). And run adapter Ujoints from Napa. This my mountain truck. Not my highway truck. I run the 14 bolt rear, and Dana 60 kingpin trac loc front.

I also have 3 inch ez ride lift. This made a world of difference on the washboard roads I frequently drive on. At stock the truck would hurt my kidneys on those roads. Side note; it’s possible that my three inch lift is why I didn’t need drive shafts made after swapping differentials. Not sure if anyone made the swap at stock height who can confirm.

Also have the rear passenger side radio tray mounted, with cb/two way radio/ inverter mounted to that tray.
FF3FFC27-56D0-4970-99D8-FB2CC0B17218.jpg

CryoGuy6075

I don't know what overlanding is but I have UHF and VHF comms (may be adding 10/11 meters soon) and a roof top tent rides on the top during the summer.

The fiberglass top is plenty strong enough for the roof rails and the tent.
I am in the process of doing the same thing to my M1009. I love the comms stack! I have a similar setup in my retired police car that I might use. But first on the list is reliability. I need to get the front steering components replaced. It's not unsafe but needs to be addressed before I can go on any long road trips.

Last edited:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you guys want to see what a real CUCV overlander looks like, check out Glockfan’s new thread over in the CUCV Hotrodding section.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks