• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire orientation question

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello All,

Several times now, I've seen M35a*s with interesting tire orientations. For example: the driver side will have the proper forward-facing orientation on all tires. And the passenger side on the same truck will have all "backward-facing" (for the passenger side) tires. I've seen it enough now that I have to think it's intentional? Can someone please educate me why this might be?

Regards,
SJ

sandcobra164

Tires are non-directional and may have been installed on the rims by a dedicated tire shop. They build them all the same way as opposed to individual unit maintenance shops who may take a little more pride and install them according to which side of the truck they are going on.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have Michelin XL tires and installed them based on the ad pictures by Michelin, however according to their specs it doesn't matter which way the tread is facing.

If you're talking about the stock tires, well, the ND and NDT does stand for non directional.

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have Michelin XL tires and installed them based on the ad pictures by Michelin, however according to their specs it doesn't matter which way the tread is facing.
Reading the replies I should've said Michelins (they're not NDTs). My fault.

I did not know that about Michelin's tread though - good to know. Like you, I like them pointed in what I consider the "forward" direction. But there're plenty of folks out there that run them "backward" too I'm coming to find: rock crawlers, some heavy equipment, ...

My main concern was ensuring I wasn't needlessly running the tread off of "backward" tires.

Thank you both!

Last edited:

davidb56

If you're talking about the stock tires, well, the ND and NDT does stand for non directional.
I thought NDT stands for "No **** Traction".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks