• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 Removing attachments

Jamesm417

I'd like to learn how to remove the attachments while I work on the hydraulic cylinders.

Does anyone know where I can find this information?
A link would be very appreciated.

TIA.

Jim

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim, it's been covered on the main (Owner's) thread in various forms over time. Yeah, it's a lot of reading, but aside from my posts, mostly very good info.

I'll counter with a question: Why would you want to remove the attachments??? It's a heck of a lot easier to remove and install cylinders when things are held in place by the FLU than propped up on the ground, I'd think.

Jamesm417

Jim, it's been covered on the main (Owner's) thread in various forms over time. Yeah, it's a lot of reading, but aside from my posts, mostly very good info.

I'll counter with a question: Why would you want to remove the attachments??? It's a heck of a lot easier to remove and install cylinders when things are held in place by the FLU than propped up on the ground, I'd think.
I'd like to learn how to remove them for a couple of reasons, I think it would be a good thing to know. I may want to take it places where I don't need an excavator, and would like to eliminate the weight, and lower the center of gravity.
I'm considering where I'm going to park it while I work on it. I don't have a lot of room here at the house, and if I stretch it out, it will be immobile and potentially blocking my access to my trailers, and parking spaces. I'd like to do the work myself, but have no experience. It may take longer than I expect.

I looked through the forum threads but was unable to find what I was looking for. I'll admit I am new to the group here, and am still learning how to navigate the forum. If someone could forward a link, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim, I can't remember if the removal/reattachment procedures are covered in the TMs or not, but I'd think they are.
Either way, it's fairly straightforward if you look at how they're attached. Then again, depending on what cylinders aren't working, you may not be able to remove either one without using a crane, forklift, tractor, or something similar.

I'm overdue for my fourth (or maybe it's fifth?) re-read of the Owner's thread. If I get a chance to do it, I'll try to make a note of which pages have relevant info on the subject.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think this is one of those "If you have to ask, don't do it" situations.

FLUs are quite complex is several aspects, but how the attachments are held on is definitely not one of them.

Jamesm417

Well then let me apologize for my plebian inquiry.
Personally, I find personal experience to be of great value in many endeavors.
I'd love to hear why someone might approach it a certain way, and why. Maybe learn the mistakes of others. First hand knowledge from multiple sources is far more valuable than a TM.
If this forum is not a means to share information between people with similar interests, what is it? Simply group masturbation for those who think they have know everything, and have all the answers?

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd love to hear why someone might approach it a certain way, and why. Maybe learn the mistakes of others. First hand knowledge from multiple sources is far more valuable than a TM.
Okay, so it sounds like what you'd really like us/me to do is to go through the main thread for you and then post the most relevant pages, saving you the trouble?
Or would it be more convenient if someone wrote a new post, condensing it into one really long one?

Jamesm417

If you would like to impress me, simply answer the question that was originally asked. Other than that, have a nice day...

Lust4GreenSteel

Had I been the OP, I would not have irrigated (Pzzd Off) one of the most likely and most able members to be of help. But, that is just me.

Speedwoble

If this forum is not a means to share information between people with similar interests, what is it? Simply group masturbation for those who think they have know everything, and have all the answers?
Ok, start sharing. Why should I take time out of my day to type up a procedure that you are too lazy to look in a TM. They exist for a reason.

Personally I do think this forum gets too wordy at times, but I take what I get when it’s free.

Jamesm417

Ok, start sharing. Why should I take time out of my day to type up a procedure that you are too lazy to look in a TM. They exist for a reason.

Personally I do think this forum gets too wordy at times, but I take what I get when it’s free.

What makes you assume I did not try to find it in the TMs?

Pinsandpitons

Whoa pump the brakes there super chief.

Yes, good info in the TMs. The time to read through the main thread (actually read posts 1 to infinity) is time well spent. Not saying you didn’t.

As someone who has removed and reinstalled both, all i would say is have a helper and be careful. When reinstalling the backhoe, it helps to lift the implement up into the locks (bottom hooks) as an alignment aid.

SpoiledSpud

Hey Jim,
Check out this link to an index that Ron put together. Looks like there may be a few replies to piece together a clearer picture for you.
Spud

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...Owners-group&p=2199402&viewfull=1#post2199402

Post 649 from Bikers33

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...Owners-group&p=1920083&viewfull=1#post1920083

Put the backhoe into a 3 point stance (2 outriggers and the bucket). Remove snap rings from the 2 top pins and bash them out. Use outriggers to make it easier. Unlatch two bottom locks (with the lever on the side of the truck). Disconnect hyd. hoses and join them together.. Block underneath the center so it wont sag. Join the hoses on the back of the truck as well.....enjoy FUN MODE!!

I'd like to learn how to remove the attachments while I work on the hydraulic cylinders.

Does anyone know where I can find this information?
A link would be very appreciated.

TIA.

Jim

Last edited:

Pinsandpitons

One more thing that makes life easier for loader re-installation; grease the upper and lower mounts a little. They tend to stick and hang up just when they should drop into place. Of course you'll use the implement functions to help micro align and jiggle things into place.

Jamesm417

Thank you. That’s great information.

Hey Jim,
Check out this link to an index that Ron put together. Looks like there may be a few replies to piece together a clearer picture for you.
Spud

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...Owners-group&p=2199402&viewfull=1#post2199402

Post 649 from Bikers33

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...Owners-group&p=1920083&viewfull=1#post1920083

Put the backhoe into a 3 point stance (2 outriggers and the bucket). Remove snap rings from the 2 top pins and bash them out. Use outriggers to make it easier. Unlatch two bottom locks (with the lever on the side of the truck). Disconnect hyd. hoses and join them together.. Block underneath the center so it wont sag. Join the hoses on the back of the truck as well.....enjoy FUN MODE!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks