• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery disconnect?

broylz

Will a duralast battery disconnect switch rated at 1000 peak amps survive full starting load from my hmmwv?

If not, which disconnect has been used by anyone here with good results?

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Hummwv average starter current 200 Amps. Peak to 400 Amps. Running lights, heater, wiper motor, engine average 25 Amps.

Your choice, CAMO

JoeJrTheBarber

I have a race car style battery disconnect swtich in my Humvee from Flamming River.
Have it mounted under the drivers seat towards the trans tunnel.

Wire Fox

Size it according to your needs. The comments above are perfect to tell you the typical running/starting loads. Aiming for 1000A peak isn't necessary unless you want to ensure that you maintain capability to slave start something much larger than a HMMWV.

springer1981

Take the positive lead from the slave connector and connect it to the positive terminal on the battery (+24v). Then the slave connector would not be effected by the battery switch. This means the switch would not be subjected to the load of the slave device.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take the positive lead from the slave connector and connect it to the positive terminal on the battery (+24v). Then the slave connector would not be effected by the battery switch. This means the switch would not be subjected to the load of the slave device.
Huh?
the Slave wiring is already parallel to the batteries, and a Battery disconnect switch should only ever be on the negative
of the rear battery...

springer1981

Huh?
the Slave wiring is already parallel to the batteries, and a Battery disconnect switch should only ever be on the negative
of the rear battery...
Ok, then move the negative cable from the slave connector from the shunt block to the battery post (neg) and then install the switch in the negative battery cable. The end result would still be the same, the slave would be powered at all times and would not go through the battery switch.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks