• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I know it won't start, Fuel, air lock

Finallygotone

I got a new fuel filter, wrong threads, back to NAPA Monday, I decided to drain the water catch the petcock would not let anything come through not even a drop so I removed it and cleaned it, well all the fuel come out and had the fuel filter off, so my chances of getting it started are slim I would think, so what do I do once the new filter is in can try it if no start do I bleed the lines at the injector, fellow help me though this I hope not to bother you anymore than I have to, thanks, finallygotone

Last edited by a moderator:

74M35A2

Bro, the blue lettering is painful to read. I assume from your pic you have an a2 series M923. If so, here is your procedure:

Be sure you have the square washer on the top bolt of the filter canister seated correctly. Rubber side down, and square aligned with square in filter housing. Bolt is tight, drain valve at bottom is closed.

Remove and drain or replace smaller engine mounted fuel filter as well. Install filled with fresh clean diesel fuel. Be sure this is a clean fill, as it is now after the filter. This is not even allowed to happen on today’s EFI common rail diesel engines.

Locate 10mm headed bleed bolt on inner side of injection pump at front, between pump and engine.

Crack this bleed bolt open, depress fuel primer button on the mechanical lift pump. Close bleed bolt before releasing primer bulb. Repeat until a solid pulse of fuel emits from bleed bolt. May take 20-30 times, but it goes quick.

Once done, you should now be able to depress the primer button with the bleed bolt closed and hear a “squeak” from the return line fitting at the rear of the injection pump. This is confirmation that all is primed as best can be.

After this, the truck should start right up. Injector lines don’t need to be bled on an 8.3L.

Next time you can check for water by depressing the Scrhrader (tire) valve atop the filter housing whilst the drain valve is open. This will allow it to drain.

Replace at least the soft rubber fuel suction hoses from tank to lift pump if they have not been already. Theses are nearly a 100% leak path by now at the age of these trucks.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Finallygotone

Bro. 74M35A2, thanks for the tip on starting a starving engine, I got home to late to try it but did go back to NAPA and get the correct one and a spare, hope to be able to get home today 16th. April to get it on and beg the wife to just turn the knob while I bleed it, will let you know, thanks for you knowledge and time to answer, hope you have a good day, I changed the color of the request, easier to read, Finallygotone

Lukes_deuce

Bro. 74M35A2, thanks for the tip on starting a starving engine, I got home to late to try it but did go back to NAPA and get the correct one and a spare, hope to be able to get home today 16th. April to get it on and beg the wife to just turn the knob while I bleed it, will let you know, thanks for you knowledge and time to answer, hope you have a good day, I changed the color of the request, easier to read, Finallygotone
74M35A2 did a great step by step. One thing I will add, if you completely drained the injector lines, it would help to crack open the 10MM nut for the return line on top of the valve cover. So when you pumping the lift pump, the air can be pushed out at the highest point. Ran out of fuel once and couldnt get it bled for anything. Finally cracked open the return lines and got fuel back in there. Good luck!

74M35A2

If you are caught in this situation totally tool-less with an a2 (8.3L), you can mostly accomplish the same thing by spinning the small engine mounted fuel filter loose, and using that to bleed the prime air out. Same thing though, crack it free, depress and hold the prime button, then tighten the fuel filter up, release prime button, repeat. Just like manually bleeding brakes.

Finallygotone

Thanks for the help fellows, got it going, I cracked open the bleed off behind the injector pump (10MM fitting) got my wife to turn the switch about 15 seconds had all the air out and running smooth, I really appreciate the help and quick response, thanks again, Joe (finallygotone)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks