• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No longer broke down in Flagstaff AZ; need transmission.

Dru27

Hey I am looking for a trans that is working for my m109a3 i broke down in flagstaff AZ and am stuck here any and all help would be greatly appreciated. The 4-5 gear synchro is stuck and the 2-3 is going out.

Big Tom

I am in Maryland can ship it to you if you want or call Boyce Equipment in Utah has them ready to ship a little closer than me

Big Tom

Dru27

That is me. I painted the purple on it so I could cross the Mexico boarder with out a lot of questions asked or being heavily searched.

Jericho

If it’s servicable 350$ is dirt cheap !!! It’s not a bad job. Just heavy. I did one in a M109a3 in a Wally World parking lot in NJ Two four by fours across the tops of the doors with windows rolled down and a chain fall. Get a good quality chain fall avoid Harbrum frieight Took me a week end by my self. Drain your fluids. Strip the floor panels and away you go I changed the clutch ect while I was in there. Manager was very helpful , NJ state police were less than nice , constantly reminded that I wasn’t allowed to do that in a parking lot. Constantly asked about fluid loss. Manager stepped up and reminded police it was private property. Wally land , drove away as trooper came to visit in afternoon of second day as he was telling me he had called for tow truck. Luckily I had a spare and had a friend drive it down to me Take your time. Do itcright. Good luck !

Dru27

I will keep this in mind, thank you Katahdin. If i cant get it going i wll be looking for advice or just swap out the trans. I did get new synchros for 2-3 and 4-5. I replaced everything, i thought correctly but now it has a horrible grinding noise and 2 wont stay in gear. i have not moved the truck more than a couple of feet as i was testing it. I think i got the one bushing turned around but i didnt see how it would fit under the gear for second. I am looking at the diagrams that i could find and from those it looks like it may be backwards. if anyone has better pics of the break down of it and or the reassembly of it, it would be greatly appreciated. I am only taking out the main gear shaft and doing the work that way with out taking the trans down. If i have to take it out i will but i am trying to avoid it unless i need a new one. Just thought you all would like the update!

Katahdin

The guy with the $350 transmission has parts sources in Florida and Mississippi, I know he ships through Fastenal, which you do have one of those in Flagstaff. I'll PM you his contact info.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.......I think i got the one bushing turned around but i didnt see how it would fit under the gear for second. I am looking at the diagrams that i could find and from those it looks like it may be backwards. ................
2nd gear spins directly on the shaft. Maybe you are referring to the 5th gear sleeve? The collar of that sleeve/bushing goes towards the back of transmission. (Some older diagrams had it wrong.)

Mainshaft, exploded view.PNG

Last edited:

Dru27

That is the way that i have it in. I get clatter now, i start with the clutch in and then release it enough to see all the gears spin then push it back in and it starts to clatter really bad. it seems to lighten up a bit as a play with the gears. I also now have a seized top plate i have to go unfreeze. The top plate is also making a clicking noise. any thoughts on that?

Also i am on the back end of throwing an event where i am just breaking even and am running out of money and dont have enough to purchase and ship new parts as well as have enough for fuel to get home. I have not been working for a month except on this event. just to give a little back story as to where i am at and what is going on with me. I am just looking for advice on what is going on, i am starting to hit the end of my mechanical knowledge though.

Thanks for all of your help and advice.

Big Tom

Do you have the top cover off when working the clutch? If so be shure gears are in the right positions if not they will grind you should install cover before trying.

Big Tom

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At this point I would see if I could get someone to tow or trailer me home before I run out of money. The alternative is park it some place until you can get enough money and parts together to go get it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks