• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator yellow then to green once warm

Dank400ex

First time post and love this forum. I have a 1993 M998 with the 6.5 NA. Recently, after I start the engine the voltmeter hangs in the yellow until it warms up a little and then climbs into the green. Voltmeter test at the batteries indicates an under charge in the yellow but once in the green it’s the proper charge. Could this be slipping belts or voltage regulator? I tried to check a bunch of other threads without luck.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome!!!

Depending on your PCB, (protective control box), the glow plugs may be kept ON until the engine warms up completely. This electrical drain will reflect in lower voltage and amperage until the engine block warms up.

The "yellow light" might also pulsate, (especially noticeable at night).

The PCB is on the left, behind the starter switch, best viewed from under the dash and looking up and left. There will be a yellow or white or green sticker on it with writing. Take a picture of the label and post, and many of us will be able to tell you if your box is involved in this behavior.

Not a big thing if your PCB is involved...just something to ignore.

Best,

T

Scrounger

Something else to check is the batteries. If the batteries or a battery is getting weak, while they will still be able to start the engine, the starting will draw them down more than fresh ones.

Put them on a charger, then load test them. It is an easy thing to check and eliminates a possible problem.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And to pile on some unsolicited advice (since others beat me to the PCB comment and after-glow profiles): it's worth checking to see if you have a proper grounding harness in it, as bad or intermittent grounds in the electrical system will also cause similar problems now and down the road. It's an important "new to me" maintenance item, if the previous owner hadn't done it.

Welcome to the fun!

Bulldogger

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First time post and love this forum. I have a 1993 M998 with the 6.5 NA. Recently, after I start the engine the voltmeter hangs in the yellow until it warms up a little and then climbs into the green. Voltmeter test at the batteries indicates an under charge in the yellow but once in the green it’s the proper charge. Could this be slipping belts or voltage regulator? I tried to check a bunch of other threads without luck.

What generator do you have? 200amp does not start charging right away...

Dank400ex

PCB photo.

Please see attached photo of my PCB and let me know what you think!

D445B2E5-8E38-49CE-91FD-824022C2DF33.jpg

Welcome!!!

Depending on your PCB, (protective control box), the glow plugs may be kept ON until the engine warms up completely. This electrical drain will reflect in lower voltage and amperage until the engine block warms up.

The "yellow light" might also pulsate, (especially noticeable at night).

The PCB is on the left, behind the starter switch, best viewed from under the dash and looking up and left. There will be a yellow or white or green sticker on it with writing. Take a picture of the label and post, and many of us will be able to tell you if your box is involved in this behavior.

Not a big thing if your PCB is involved...just something to ignore.

Best,

T

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RWH likes smart start systems, and he is a great and reliable source of information.

Dank400ex

I was cruising around the other day and noticed the voltmeter was hanging in the yellow again. There also was a belt squeal under the hood for a few minutes. Once the belt stopped squealing, the gauge was in the green. Is it possible the belts are slipping or more likely my generator is seizing up and once it gets moving it charges better?

NormB

I was cruising around the other day and noticed the voltmeter was hanging in the yellow again. There also was a belt squeal under the hood for a few minutes. Once the belt stopped squealing, the gauge was in the green. Is it possible the belts are slipping or more likely my generator is seizing up and once it gets moving it charges better?
Might be brushes, or the regulator on the generator, OR bad connections.

Oh, and a shot of belt dressing spray and/or check belt tension.

Anyone else?

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my experience, random changes can be dirt in your brushes and a one time thing, or your batteries could be struggling to start the motor and the yellow represents the alternator pushing them back up, or bad connections. I thought my connections in the battery box were good and was confused about strange readings, then I noticed there is a connection in the outside of the box, near the starter. Basically the post that the +24V cable goes to has two ends, and both need to be tight.
So check your connections and if you have the time and ability you could also pull your batteries and have them tested.

In my 3 years of ownership and experience the yellow green thing is only a problem if it happens more than once in a while.

Bulldogger

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
check the alternator bracket on the bottom adjustment slide, make sure its not broken. also verify the rear support to manifold is present. and the dirty word spacer is between the gen and mounting bracket.

Screenshot_4.png

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the same issue and with mine it was the regulator.

Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks