• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 Series frame measurements

Hendrickson360

Hello!

does anybody have the measurements of the frame rails of the 5-ton trucks?

I would gues something like 10"x3"x0.4" (rail height, width and thickness) but i would like to got it more precise.

Also if anybody know the material quality .....

Greetings

Hendrickson360

Interesting, would have thought it to be higher. Of course the thickness is pretty important ... Also the steel quality. Oshkosh uses something with around 110.000psi, guess AM General went a bit lower then that back in the day.

Hendrickson360

Thank you very much! Interesting that it's not bigger tho, since 9x3x0.315 is pretty much the exact same measurement the new GM 4-6500 trucks are going to have, which are of course not nearly heavy duty in general.

Even Am Generals own Humvee is not that far of, since i heard it has a 8"x2.5"x0.24" boxed frame, which would be comparable just by the numbers.

74M35A2

It is deliberately thin with minimal cross supports. This is so it can flex and keep all 6 wheels in driving contact with the ground at nearly all times. I drove over a car, and with my driver side front wheel atop the roof, the cab sat at a crazy angle, yet all 4 rears were still on the ground. It was amazing to see, by design. Flexes like a noodle, super cool.

Hendrickson360

Well that's of course a huge benefit if you want maximum articulation, but on the offhand it's not the best way to go for drivin a bit faster, be it on or offroad, since th whole truck will bounce around like crazy.

162tcat

Well that's of course a huge benefit if you want maximum articulation, but on the offhand it's not the best way to go for drivin a bit faster, be it on or offroad, since th whole truck will bounce around like crazy.
It's not a race truck. It was meant to be loaded up and driven on unimproved roads reliability. It does that well. It's not a commercial over the road truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks