• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The HMWVV as a farm vehicle

Weller

Alright, I'm thanking tobyS and his "Why Bother" post for the motivation for this.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?186760-Why-bother

People post photos of their humvees and all the cool mods and restorations they've done. They talk about getting them street legal, getting insurance, and they all look so pretty. That's awesome, but there's another use for these beautiful beasts.

My HMWVV is equipped for my needs, she seats one. I've built modules I can load on the back or sides depending on the time of year, and the tasks we have to do. Here's a few photos of what's she's done for me.

20180831_144112.jpg
Seats removed and mounted a generator, air compressor, water tank, and other tools.

20181122_150023.jpg
She pulls like a beast.

20160925_073108.jpg
Random surplus makes a great brush guard.

20180512_075426.jpg
In the fall she fetches timber from the forest.

20180512_112109.jpg
Hauls 1000 lb logs like they're not even there.

20171123_072145.jpg
Loading the oak for the indoor fireplace and outdoor bbq.

20160904_063907.jpg
This one took 3 days to get into location, but my humvee was there to get er done.

20180615_113346.jpg 20180615_114451.jpg
Most importantly, she gets water from the creek so my dogs can take a bath.

My HMWVV, she's a workhorse.

Last edited:

Lazboytt

I agree and this is why we are working on legislation not just for civilian use but for farmers businesses and commercial usages. We should have legislation here in Michigan in process this month or early next month. I know you may be from another state but we ask everyone’s support.

Please sign our petition to support such uses.

https://www.change.org/p/jocelyn-be...m_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

Everyone’s support is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terracoma

I've been telling several of my friends for YEARS that when I own acreage? I'll be owning an M998 to traverse the property with.

The 2-door trucks with a full cargo bed are perfect... Keep it coming with the photos of your HMMWV in action!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too use mine for firewood gathering. Its a 2Door Cargo also. I do use it on the backroads. I avoid the highway as much as possible. It will out work any UTV out there at a much cheaper cost. It's been a great tool so far for my needs.

Weller

Awesome to hear. No highways for me. It's a 6 mile drive to even reach the nearest county maintained road. Locals drive UTVs, tractors, and non-op trucks in my area all the time. Since I've had the humvee, my UTV gets used for trips to the mailbox.

NormB

D6A9F86A-A1F0-4372-82B5-8E950966CAE7.jpgThat’s awesome, and inspiring.

This is how I intend to use my HMMWV on our farm in TN in future years, more or less.

Winch for hauling logs out of hollers, dragging logs to splitter, running 120VAC inverter for tools out in the field, hauling mule and horse pooh to composting/gardening soil pile, and more.

Thanks for sharing this.

Last edited:

donkren

If you are looking for an inverter, you might try to find one from one of the Rock Island Arsenal Contact Truck Bodies that were built for HMMWVs. The inverters were 6KW pure sine wave. Most were made by Exeltech. They were set up to run lights, aux receptacles, an on-board air compressor and welder. I haven't seen any for sale separately, but the slide in bodies have been showing up surplus.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks