• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Joe The Barber;s 1988 M998 build thread (be aware - non stock content ! )

JoeJrTheBarber

Joe The Barber's 1988 M998 build thread (be aware - non stock content ! )

Been a long time coming but in December 2017 I became the owner of a 1988 M998. I have wanted one of these trucks since around 1998 when I worked at Circuit City (remember those stores ?) in the car stereo department and we had a fleet of 2 door H1 pickup trucks come in for full audio treatements as they were promo trucks for Mt. Dew. I "borrowed" one for a night and became hooked. That's a 18 year old me in the last pic..
CircuitH11.jpgCircuitH12.jpgCircuitH1.jpg
Anyways, here is my Humvee build so far. Please feel free and ask whatever questions you might have. This truck is mine and im building it how I feel fit. To each their own.

The truck as it looked as I bought it.
DayOne.jpgBridge1.jpgBridge2.jpg

The list of modifications is a large one so I will try to go front to back so I don't forget anything.

- LED spotlights used for headlights (super bright)
- 4" round LED fog lights in holes in front "bumper"
- Full LED turn signals / tail lights
- LED civilian h1 style marker lights front and back
- 1" thick 53" wide LED light bar mounted on hood
- Upgraded / larger air hooks
AVITAR.jpgGrille3.jpgHoodLite.jpgAirHooks.jpg

- Added a AM General factory slantback
- Factory AM General X doors
- Modified "rear curtain" with window delete and bottom half flip up to use truck for say moving longer 2x4's or whatever
- 2" body lift
- Hoffman 2-3" lift springs
- Flip down steps under each door to ease entry and exit
- Added grab handles to help in the above
- Dirty Boyz 700R4 kit with 4 speed shifter
- 17X9.5 Black Rhino wheels in factory / civilian H1 Offset
- 40X13.5X17 Cooper Discover STT Pro tires
Top.jpgRoof.jpgStep4.jpgBack6.jpgBack .jpg
Handle1.jpgTrans2.jpgWheel1.jpg(would add more pics but "im limited" to 20 per post on this site so ,,,)

Other things I can think of we did to the truck in no particular order:
- Front and rear camera system. Rear camera acts as my "rear view mirror"
- Added red LED's to act as interior / dome lights
- Above lights activated on door mounted pin switches
- 3" square LED reverse lights added to rear of truck along with 14" LED light bar mounted under truck to come on when shifter is put in Reverse
- LED third brake light
- MRAP aux heater mounted on back wall
- BOSS 700 WATT atv Bluetooth sound bar mounted to back wall (yes its loud)
- On board air system with dual 5 gallon tanks for 40" Freightliner air horn and to fill up tires and such
- Optima Red top batteries - 24/12 volt invertor - Master battery cut off switch under drivers seat
- 4" round LED fog lights mounted in bed / turned on when tail gate is opened
- Left mounted license plate frame with LED plate light

Attachments

Last edited:

JoeJrTheBarber

4/15/19:

As the truck currently looks:
Spring.jpgSpring2019-1.jpgSpring2019-2.jpgSpring2019-3.jpg

Future plans:
- Full interior seam sealing / sound and heat insulation
- Canvas headliner ( to keep the military theme)
- Upgraded seat pads with heating elements added
- Full RAPCO 383 Green rattlecan paint job
- Line-X'ing of the truck "bed"
- Window tint (including the windshield)

That's about all I have so far. I posted all of this not to show off but to hopefully help get some ideas rolling for other HUMVEE owners.
Any questions ask away and I will help the best I can...

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe that's why I did it ?
Those side steps are a good idea there. I hadn't thought of that. I have them on my rear bumper for help in getting up to the bed, but I hadn't thought to mount them under the doors. I will have to get 4 more!

What onboard air system did you use? Where did you put the tank? DIY the pump from an AC compressor, or bought new? I've been thinking about adding air for trail riding, rather than having to carry a portable compressor.

Bulldogger

87m998

I'm curious about the grab handles, do you have the same ones for the front door and where did you source them

thanks

JoeJrTheBarber

What onboard air system did you use? Where did you put the tank? DIY the pump from an AC compressor, or bought new? I've been thinking about adding air for trail riding, rather than having to carry a portable compressor.
I bought a Air Horn kit from Air Horns of Texas online. It comes with whatever horn you choose, 4 gallon tank, 24volt compressor, lines, etc.
I had the guys who worked on my truck add a 2nd 4 gallon tank for extra capacity and the quick release chuck so I can fill up tires, run small air tools, etc.
The two tanks are sitting on top of each other directly behind where the rear bumper would be. The pic below is of me on my back looking up towards the bottom tank..
Air.jpgAir3.jpgAir5.jpg

JoeJrTheBarber

I'm curious about the grab handles, do you have the same ones for the front door and where did you source them
The grab handles are a generic alum. handle I got off the Evil-Bay. We scuffed them up and painted them Rapco rattlecan green and they look like AM General installed them when the truck was new. One of the best things I have done to the truck.
Handle.jpgHandle1.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks