• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Western Canadian Rockwell, MRAP to Deuce adapter plates. Do I have a problem?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just received a couple of MRAP to 2-1/2 ton adapter plates from Western Canadian Rockwell and was a little surprised at the chamfer (or lack there of) in the lug holes.IMG_6611.jpgIMG_6612.jpgIMG_6614.jpgIMG_6615.jpg Do I have a problem? What say’s the horde?

Fatalid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got mine from Boyce out of Utah... They had more of a chamfer on them.

I don’t think it’s that big of a deal though.

The biggest issue with most of these manufactures is that they aren’t putting a hub lip around for MRAP wheels to center on.

You're going to get more slop from the MRAP bolts in the adapter plate, then the adapter plate on the Rockwell hub.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can always take the adapters to a fab shop or semi-truck wheel shop to put the proper Budd chamfer on them.

From your pics, your adapters don't quite have enough of the proper Budd chamfer for the nuts/thimbles to center the wheel on the studs with.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Compare yours with the dimensions shown below...

.875 ball seat nut.PNG

It seems to me that Ø "B" is within specs but Ø "A" is definitely too big...?
FWIW, "A" is 1.22" for the wheels on Deuces and M37s, and around 1.28" on HEMTT and FMTV wheels.

Since we are talking about stud-piloted steel wheels, even that little chamfer will be sufficient to center the adapter to the hub. But then when torquing down to 350 ft-lbs the nuts may start deforming that narrow seat, depending on how soft that steel is.

Just check your lug nuts frequently!

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Compare yours with the dimensions shown below...

View attachment 761465

It seems to me that Ø "B" is within specs but Ø "A" is definitely too big...?
FWIW, "A" is 1.22" for the wheels on Deuces and M37s, and around 1.28" on HEMTT and FMTV wheels.

Since we are talking about stud-piloted steel wheels, even that little chamfer will be sufficient to center the adapter to the hub. But then when torquing down to 350 ft-lbs the nuts may start deforming that narrow seat, depending on how soft that steel is.

Just check your lug nuts frequently!
“A” is big at 1.288, compared to 1.225 of my stock accuride wheels.
“B” is small at 1.33, compared to 1.5 of my stock accuride wheels.
The nuts that I’m using off a M939a2 measure 1.26 at the start of the taper, so yes they will seat, but I don’t think that small of a bearing surface is a great idea. Guess I’ll torque them down and see how much the lugs mash their way into the adapters, then if I don’t get that warm and fuzzy feeling I’ll give WCR a call and see if they have excuses or resolution.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WCR is where I got mine from, I haven’t had a problem but I can’t remember if there was any chamfer.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
“A” is big at 1.288, compared to 1.225 of my stock accuride wheels. .......
Not a problem.
“B” is small at 1.33, compared to 1.5 of my stock accuride wheels.
Good; that means you (or a machinist) can still modify them for the correct chamfer. Not a big deal - if you have the right tool.
And to keep this simple, even a conical (non-spherical) seat at 55° taper would do.

.875 ball seat nut; 70° seat angle; 1.288 I.D..PNG

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Torqued the plate to 500 foot pounds with no change except for maybe a slight truing of the chamfer angle and slight deformation in the nut. IMG_6637.jpg Happy feeling gone....

I emailed Western Canadian Rockwell, received excuses, and offer for return for refund. At this point due to impatience, I’m going to run them and see what happens, and will report back. If you have adapters from them, make sure your retorquing your wheels like we’re supposed to anyhow. I guarantee any damage caused is going to be attributed to lack of retorquing/loosening, catch 22 BS. We’ll se what I get for saving a few bucks...

Would love to see what others adapters from them look like?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...... and slight deformation in the nut. .................
:shock:... That should not happen really, because OEM (correct) nuts are hardened.

Try with a regular file; if it grabs and actually removes material, discard those nuts and get the good ones.

winfred

don't think id be comfy with that sharp edge or torquing the lugs to 500, i think the lugs are only supposed to be around 350 and the sharp edge may concentrate the force and deform lowering the torque, could lead to a cascade failure and launch a wheel after popping the studs. here's my adaptors from ebay for reference, had a 7th plate chamfered on both sides for the spare as my rear hubs aren't flipped so it can go front or rear without flipping the adapter plate
image1.jpg
ps thats the weight of the adapter plate, beadlock and the hardware to bolt it to the rim

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
don't think id be comfy with that sharp edge or torquing the lugs to 500, i think the lugs are only supposed to be around 350 and the sharp edge may concentrate the force and deform lowering the torque, could lead to a cascade failure and launch a wheel after popping the studs...
I think 450-500 is pretty standard.IMG_6758.jpgIMG_6759.jpgIts also what the TM for my trailer calls for, single or dueled.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks