• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Under "new" vehicle build rules fr classic vehicles-pity we can't figure out a way!

saddamsnightmare

Under "new" vehicle build rules fr classic vehicles-pity we can't figure out a way!

April 16th, 2019

Gentlemen and Ladies:

Under the new vehicle build rules for classic vehicles, isn't it a pity we haven't figured out a way to bring in new KIA M450 derivatives of the old Jeep M715 PU. Compared to the sad "Gladiator" Jeep is currently foisting off on people as a pickup truck, the old Jeep was a virtual tank and much easier to maintain.

This one even seems to have AC, unheard of in the old M715's plus it has a diesel engine!
http://military.kia.com/en/kia/vehicles/km45-series/km450-cargo-truck.do#.XLXebWdYYdU

Just something to mull over. If a new Cobra can be built without using 25 year old parts, then a new M715/M450 should also qualify, you think???:)

Crapgame

Wouldn't it have to meet all the current EPA regulations? Its a shame, I like the turbo diesel Toyota HiLux but No Joy on those either. An M715 with a turbo diesel engine! Wonder if a GEP 6.5l Turbo would fit under the hood?

Its amazing that truck had the same 1 1/4ton rating as the A0 HMMWV.

Gunzy

State by state is different on "Kit" cars. Some see them as what the look like, i.e. '66 A/C Cobra and others see them as new production requiring EPA and DOT certification. In mu state (Utah) I bet they would license the KIA as they have no issues with kits or MVs. HMMWVs are street legal here.

saddamsnightmare

December 29th, 2019

We Should bounce this one off of "Coldwarrior" as I am in Texas, and Texas historically had been favorable to military equipment registration in the past.....!

Shark

I’m so glad here on Maui there are none of these rebuild restrictions or rules. As long as horn, lights, turn signals work and tires aren’t bald on any vehicle, you’re good to go.

My biggest issue when it comes time to registering my M725 is if lack of seat belts will prevent me from passing inspection and getting my sticker.

saddamsnightmare

I’m so glad here on Maui there are none of these rebuild restrictions or rules. As long as horn, lights, turn signals work and tires aren’t bald on any vehicle, you’re good to go.

My biggest issue when it comes time to registering my M725 is if lack of seat belts will prevent me from passing inspection and getting my sticker.
Lack of seat belts shoyuld be no issue. If the unit never had them, and most military trucks in the 1960's didn't you are good to go! IF it had them and they've been removed...Oh,Oh! But at least there are affordable replacements out there in the Auto Parts MArket!

V8srfun

The gladiator is nothing more than a status symbol for people with disposable income. Just like most modern vehicles lately the manufacturers are building what they want and not what the customers want. But still people line up to buy even knowing it is not what they really want. It is so disappointing that people are so willing to buy what they are dissatisfied with instead of saying no and waiting until the manufacture produces what the customers are asking for.
I worked for a dealership group that owned many franchise car dealers including Hyundai/ Kia. After seeing how much more frequently they broke compared to all the other manufacturers I made the decision that I would never own one. The Mazda dealership I worked for had a 4% warranty rate in the shop the rest of the work was basically all maintenance like tires brakes and fluids. The Hyundai shop was 45% warranty and much of that percentage was drivetrain related. Hyundai/Kia vehicle’s are in my opinion the worst built vehicles on our roads today.

Jeepsinker

To import the KM450 it only has to be 25 years old or older to be exempt from EPA regulations and FMCSA stuff.

I'm not sure the Kia military trucks were being made that long ago.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks