Thread: Texas MV Bill Moving thru Senate

Sergeant Major Third From Texas's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Texas MV Bill Moving thru Senate

OK, back in 2014 the TxDMV passed arule banning anything the deemed a “dune buggy” invalid for title, registration, and on-road use. This effected sand rails,fiberglass tub cars (ie Manx), as well as many kit cars. Last year letters were sent out to owners mandating the return of the titles and license plates.

Many of us with such cars banded together to attempt to change this. A group was formed on FB and several media articles were published. The group grew and hired a lobbyist to champion our cause (a very expensive and ongoing process). The TxDMV fought us at every turn and did not want these cars on the road. The decision to press this to legislators was made and we made a huge push to contact all our congressmen. It took a great effort and a lot of money, but progress was made and things are looking positive.

As of now we got the bill drafted and sponsored in both House and Senate in Austin. It has just unanimously passed the House and is now in the Senate for vote. If it passes, it could see the governor's desk and become law on September 1st.

It's been a long, hard, expensive battle to preserve our rights to drive these cars. Many other states are watching how Texas deals with the issue of these vehicles. If a person at the TxDMV can screw over an entire class of vehicle owners in Texas, it can certainly happen in other states.

But why am I posting this here?

Big Red Flag....

As of last Thursday, the future of registering “military vehicles” with any “off road”designation were tacked onto the bill (I only became aware of this tonight). As both a “dune buggy” and FMV owner, this now doubled down in importance to me. I know many here have FMV- registered vehicles so you may wish to keep an eye on the progression of the bill (as it gets modified and moves thru the Senate).

Assuming this all becomes law, it will still return to the TxDMV and the hands of a Mr. Kuntz who was our adversary in the matter and refused to budge on the topic (which led to where we are today). He will be the one establishing the rule making procedures at the TxDMV that workout the implementation of the way that Assembled Vehicles & Former Military Vehicles are to be titled, registered and inspected. (edit by mod).

Here is the link to Texas House Bill1755 which passed:
    https://legiscan.com/TX/text/HB1755/...-g_TSPniv_yJQE

Here is the FB group that put this alltogether for the fight:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Save...8318170703668/

StTDB web site:
    http://savethetexasdunebuggy.com/
    Last edited by USAFSS-ColdWarrior; 04-17-2019 at 21:18. Reason: Unnecessary character assessment(s) removed.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Third From Texas For This Useful Post:

86m1028 (04-18-2019), 98G (04-17-2019), Flyingvan911 (04-17-2019), fuzzytoaster (04-17-2019), M813rc (04-18-2019), SCSG-G4 (04-17-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (04-17-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,365 Times in 722 Posts

Thanks for posting this. I had no idea of the 2014 rule change and didn't know about your effort. I am currently building a "buggy" for Boxcar in my class and we just discussed making it road legal the other day. Not knowing it is currently impossible.
    "If you didn't build it, you can't call it yours."

1952 M35 W/W Gasser
    1953 M35 W/W Gasser
    1967 M715 6.2/NV4500
    1967 M416
    1971 M35A2 Whistler W/W
    1985 M1009
    1985 M1009
    1985 M1009
    1985 M1009
    1985 M1009
    1986 M105A3
    1987 M1007 Suburban (Cowdog)
    1988 M105A3
    1990 M101A2
    1991 M101A2

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Barrman For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (04-17-2019)

General
    Thanks

3rd,
    It's been my observation that our individual DOTs keep an eye on various vehicle forums. The definitely share information, ever heard of the AAMVA?
    So you may wish to edit a couple comments on there, lest you poke your tiger unnecessarily. 'No sense stirring a turd that don't need to be stirred.'

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undysworld For This Useful Post:

98G (05-21-2019), cwc (04-17-2019), L1A1 (06-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 21,152 Times in 7,321 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by undysworld View Post
    3rd,
    It's been my observation that our individual DOTs keep an eye on various vehicle forums. The definitely share information, ever heard of the AAMVA?
    So you may wish to edit a couple comments on there, lest you poke your tiger unnecessarily. 'No sense stirring a turd that don't need to be stirred.'
    Thank you. I had just read the thread and was about to weigh in on the same character assessment(s).

As a Mod; as the OP of the TxFMV LAWS thread; and as one with a vested interested in maintained my own personal relationships with several high level TxDMV folks (trust earned after considerable investment of time and energy), I have edited the OP's Post #1 of this thread so as to maintain the appropriate protocol and decorum necessary for political persuasion.

Thank you to ALL who participate in this matter for being DIPLOMATIC toward our desired outcome.

John

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to USAFSS-ColdWarrior For This Useful Post:

cwc (04-17-2019), L1A1 (06-03-2019), M813rc (04-18-2019), undysworld (04-18-2019)

Sergeant Major Third From Texas's Avatar
    Thanks

Well here's what passed thru the Transportation Committee Friday May 17, 2019.

Section 5 shows the changes/additions to Military Vehicle Registration.

It will be on the Governor's desk as early as tomorrow.

Sadly, street legal rails got screwed (to be considered "sandrails":

*right click image to save PDF
    Attached Files Attached Files

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Third From Texas For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (05-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,325 Times in 1,553 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Third From Texas View Post
    Well here's what passed thru the Transportation Committee Friday May 17, 2019.

Section 5 shows the changes/additions to Military Vehicle Registration.

It will be on the Governor's desk as early as tomorrow.

Sadly, street legal rails got screwed (to be considered "sandrails":

*right click image to save PDF
    Looks like the m998 with a GVWR of 7700lbs is explicitly permitted to be street titled and registered whether or not the paperwork was stamped "off road".

Looks like wheeled MVs with a GVWR over 10k are permitted to be street titled and registered as long as they were not stamped "off road".

I don't know of any MVs over 10k GVWR that had the "off road" stamp.

I conclude that the target of this legislation was the sandrail crowd and MVs are unaffected.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 98G For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (05-21-2019)