• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going to pick up 2 LMTVs starts April 26

islasaero

From California to New Boston Texas with rental vehicle and all the tools I can use to start an LMTV. Wheels, oils, and spare parts included. Then, to Saraland, Alabama to tow another LMTV. From there, straight to California.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Huh? You want to drive an auction truck from Texas to Alabama, then use it to flat tow a dead truck from Alabama to California?

islasaero

Huh? You want to drive an auction truck from Texas to Alabama, then use it to flat tow a dead truck from Alabama to California?
Yes, it's not my first trial. I know many things can happen. I know about these trucks, too. If I can't get the truck in good condition, I'm calling the hitch over for both. I have spare parts. Things I will go over... New batteries, new whole wheels,check Alt/belts/bolts/ hoses,change fluids/filters/ driveshafts with new ujoints, check for air leaks ( needs to pass the limits), replace all the brake chambers, commercial insurance, one trip permits, check the valve lash... And what not... You get the idea. If you think I'm mad, that's a compliment.
-mad scientist

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well ok, good luck, I flat towed a LMTV 200 miles and the entire ordeal kicked my butt.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
4 hours travel time to Ft Polk, 3 hours messing with GP and preparing the truck for flat tow in a monsoon, then 5 hours return trip.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You will need a whole truck load of tires going across i20, Louisiana, or even thinking i10 in general.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well ok, good luck, I flat towed a LMTV 200 miles and the entire ordeal kicked my butt.
That's the old age sir. my doctor the other day asked me if I had felt fatigued lately by doing strenuous work. I just gave him a crazy look and said define "fatigued"

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's the old age sir. my doctor the other day asked me if I had felt fatigued lately by doing strenuous work. I just gave him a crazy look and said define "fatigued"
Haha Simp, I couldn't find the picture but I did a similar recovery back in the late 80's and I recall being completely exhausted then too! Something about flat towing is unnerving and causes you not to be able to relax while driving. Being "on point" for hours and hours is the drain.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Haha Simp, I couldn't find the picture but I did a similar recovery back in the late 80's and I recall being completely exhausted then too! Something about flat towing is unnerving and causes you not to be able to relax while driving. Being "on point" for hours and hours is the drain.
Especially when the rear truck just wants to go it's own way or its windy and shes got you puckered so bad you have a tear in your seat after the ordeal is over

Berend

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would do the same thing without hesitating, did it in the past also. I love adventures like that.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can also pay someone to drop off the damaged truck to Texas...
HAHAHAHA! I just had mine hauled from there to Dallas, TX on Wednesday. The truck was listed at Kessler AFB and they decided to ship it to Saraland for who knows why. Anyway, if you want to have it hauled I know a transporter and you can pick it up at my lot here in Dallas. That should save you from going all the way to the East coast and just make a straight shot to California. Still a risky adventure but I'll help to see your success.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Especially when the rear truck just wants to go it's own way or its windy and shes got you puckered so bad you have a tear in your seat after the ordeal is over
Yeah. I remember flat towing from Woodworth, LA to College Station, TX twice flat towing a deuce with a deuce, each an auction VFD truck in the dark with tropical storms rolling through. Sketchy AF. I still rank that recovery in my top 5 memories of "I should have died but Murphy was busy".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks