• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sue's hydraulic power steering in his M35A3

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am posting the pictures for this member who kindly texted them to me! He is (self-declared) picture upload challenged.

He says: "We put a TAS 65 powersteering box on ours
( got it new from vanderhags) $400, it’s
off of a big snow plow. a cat
hydraulic pump. $129( bolts to the back of the
aircompresser) a unjoint from borgelesons?
$35 and could not be happier. Would not change
the feel by a ounce rather way.
plus we put the big 53” tires on ours, again
love them."

IMG_1154.JPG

TAS 65 power steering box (new) approx. $400:

IMG_2532.jpg

The hydraulic pump bolts to the rear of the air compressor on the 3116 CAT engine. Cost about $140.
IMG_2530.jpg

Steering box TAS 65. Good for a big a** snow plow; good for a Deuce!

IMG_0781.jpg

Lengthening of the dog bones and spare tire crane:
IMG_0862.jpgIMG_0946.jpg

Modification on the frame in the driver's side wheel well:

IMG_0789.jpgIMG_0790.jpgIMG_0791.jpgIMG_0792.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TAS power steering boxes: pressures and flow rates

IMG_2533.jpg
Outer shaft of the steering shaft was cut and a circular piece of nylon inserted to act as a bearing:
IMG_2535.jpg

The silver piece is the hydraulic pump bolted to the rear of the air compressor:
IMG_2536.jpg

Steering box installed; steering shaft comes in from the right:
IMG_2542.jpg

Steering arm:
IMG_2549.jpg

Reservoir on the radiator support:

IMG_2554.jpg

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moderator, please move the thread to Deuce Modification and Hot Rodding! My error!

Moved!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Sue!

Thanks for the info, I forgot to check your truck over closely at Haspin last year. It’s almost that time again, hope you and E make the “short” drive again this year.

Last edited:

rustystud

Would this system still have the redundant back up (manual) in the event
the power steering system were to fail?
Just like the others said you would have the ability to steer, "but" it would be extremely difficult as the gearing ratio on a power steering gear compared to a manual gear is much higher "meaning faster turning". On most power steering gears the "stop to stop" ratio is around 2.5:1 to 3:1 . Meaning it takes two and a half to three turns of the steering wheel to reach full left or full right. While on a manual steering gear the ratio is usually more like 5:1 to 7:1 . On a big truck like the deuce with large tires that would be quite a chore to steer if the power steering system failed. Just saying.

sue

The drive wasn’t the problem, it was the 102
degrees and the three flats we had on the
flat bed. The wood brothers would have been
proud of us by the third one.
E would grab the jack and ramp, I would back
the trailer up the ramp, then E would break the
lugs loose and start jacking the axle. I would
grab the spare tire, he would be pulling the bad tire
off I would put it up and tie it down. Then E
would hit the lug nuts let down the tire to the
ramp, torque them, I would put the truck in gear
and off the ramps. E would throw them back in
in the truck. And back on the road.
But it’s not has fun has when I go with him
to move a 60 year old aircraft accross country
thats when the real fun starts.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The drive wasn’t the problem, it was the 102
degrees and the three flats we had on the
flat bed. The wood brothers would have been
proud of us by the third one.
E would grab the jack and ramp, I would back
the trailer up the ramp, then E would break the
lugs loose and start jacking the axle. I would
grab the spare tire, he would be pulling the bad tire
off I would put it up and tie it down. Then E
would hit the lug nuts let down the tire to the
ramp, torque them, I would put the truck in gear
and off the ramps. E would throw them back in
in the truck. And back on the road.
But it’s not has fun has when I go with him
to move a 60 year old aircraft accross country
thats when the real fun starts.
And what has this to do with the original topic?:?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the write up. Never understand why they put the air assist on when with the 3116 and it's ability to hook up the pump.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, I see now.

Still... please (=> Forum Etiquette)

Thank you!
Yes, that was all me... Sorry for the derail G, but couldn’t help my self. Had too much fun enjoying these two... after all they endured in the Duece on their long trek across the country. Hope to cross paths again some day, and carry on in the Haspin threads!

Lodmccloud

Hey, new to the forum and just got a m35a3. Hoping to ask a few questions. Do you have a full part number on the steering box? Apparently they make a lot of tas 65 boxes. Did you get the matching pitman arm? Where did you get the additional leaf spring when you moved the axles? Sorry for all the questions. I don't mind the fab work just trying to get started and my steering ram died on mine
Joshua Spencer

sue

Hey, new to the forum and just got a m35a3. Hoping to ask a few questions. Do you have a full part number on the steering box? Apparently they make a lot of tas 65 boxes. Did you get the matching pitman arm? Where did you get the additional leaf spring when you moved the axles? Sorry for all the questions. I don't mind the fab work just trying to get started and my steering ram died on mine
Joshua Spencer
Can’t remember where we got the springs. But we put the 53” tires on there for speed and durability. Will go out tomorrow and measure the 2nd and third axle
wheelbase. I‘m guessing that a spring manufacture place can set you up.
and I will measure the width and thickness of the springs also.
there is a HUGE round bar as I remember that runs side to side between the axles
if you spread them. It seams like we took a heavy piece of steel and welded it over the top because that round bar will be in the way of the driveshaft?
will look tomorrow.
the steering box was a TAS 65 we got from “vanderhaggs” ( if your in unfamiliar with them they are a midwestern new and used truck and tractor part and fab shop with several locations) we got are steering box from there location in Kansas city.
steering “u joints” from borgstrom? Can’t remember. But would not change the steering wheel “feel” by an ounce. It’s perfect. Welded two steering stabilizers?
(shocks) on the axle (brackets) because each wheel weight is approximately 390 lbs
800 pounds or so. ? Don’t won’t any shimmy.
steering reservoir from summit? ( approximately 1 qt) hoses manufactured locally.
and if your power plant quits you can still steer, just eat your weaties!

sue

Joshua Spencer
Sorry not exactly a tech savvy guy. Will also measure the Pittman arm and to be honest I thick we did some calculations and by dumb luck it came out right on figuring the Pittman arm ratio.

sue

Joshua Spencer
Looked today and got some measurements, from the steering box,have a 6” steering
“arm” connecting to the shaft of the box, leading down to a steering arm connecting to the steering “axle knuckle” with a center to center of 9”.
the 2 to third axle wheel base is 60”. The springs are three leaves added to original
springs , 72” long by 2.5 wide.same thickness has original.
rased the cargo bed by 4” off the frame. Again with a tire and wheel weight of 390 lbs.
built a crane behind the cab so the bed is slid back 18”. modified a Amazon engine hoist crane to change tires. And then realized later that in a pinch could use it for picking up
other stuff to put in bed. Sorry but can’t find a model number of the steering box other than TAS 65. Monday will grab a flash light and mirror and take a better look.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks