• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tank Antennas??

Gruemeyer

Hello everyone, been gone for a while. I acquired a 3 car garage full of Vintage Military Aircraft electronics and Communications equipment. No clue what most of it is. One item I have over 40 of these and I think they are for Tanks. Not sure. Hopefully someone will have more info than I can find.

It is approximately 58" long. On the card board box the following: "5985-691-1476 antenna whip style, 1 each level A 1/67" Any help would be great. I've hauled 5 Suburban loads to our location, I guesstimate I have 15 more loads to go.

Not attempting to sell in this thread. Once I find out more info I will post in classifieds.

Attachments

Wire Fox

I've seen this set in person. (As a heads-up, I'm that guy in his 20s that pops in there about once a month, sorts through almost all of your gear, and cherry picks out oodles of little oddball stuff. I was just in about a week ago and looked through a lot of this radio gear.) He indeed has a lot of stuff that he just picked up that looks like it falls in the 1950-1975 era. Tons of connectors, amplifiers, testing equipment, repair parts, and the like. If anybody had any handy guides to help identify radio equipment of the era, I can pop into his store and be a vaguely decent intermediary that's familiar with military radio equipment, just not that era... Every piece of equipment that has a data plate on it can obviously be easily identified (although, maybe not what it's a part of...), but recognizing the systems will be trouble for me.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Guyfang

Staff member
Hello everyone, been gone for a while. I acquired a 3 car garage full of Vintage Military Aircraft electronics and Communications equipment. No clue what most of it is. One item I have over 40 of these and I think they are for Tanks. Not sure. Hopefully someone will have more info than I can find.

It is approximately 58" long. On the card board box the following: "5985-691-1476 antenna whip style, 1 each level A 1/67" Any help would be great. I've hauled 5 Suburban loads to our location, I guesstimate I have 15 more loads to go.

Not attempting to sell in this thread. Once I find out more info I will post in classifieds.

5985-691-1476 is a Federal Stock Number, (FSN).

These numbers were used between 1953 and 1974.

In 1974, the FSC became the National Stock Number, (NSN), With the addition of two zeros inserted between the first four digits, (called FSCG) and the National Item Identification Number, (NIIN), the last 9 digits.

Sometimes, if you simply insert the two zeros, you can get the information on your part, IF, it was a part kept long enough in the supply system. Unfortunately the above listed number will not come up. If there is a part number on the box, we might be able to get that to come up.

Scrounger

The only thing I could come up with is the NSN was cancelled on February 2, 1976 with a cancelled status of “Item Cancelled Without Replacement. And it is for 38-59 MHZ. Hopefully someone has an old TM for the radio it went to that may chime in.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the 1950's Army there were three different radio frequency groups, one for infantry, one for artillery and one for armor. The RT's were the 68, 69 and 70. They were all boat-anchors (big and heavy) and had a separate power supply that set next to them connected by a 'dog bone' cable. I sold my RT-68 decades ago.

Wile E. Coyote

From what I remember, AN/GRC-10 there was usually/only used in fixed-station roles...like part of the repeater/ RWI system in Vietnam. I have a Motorola one at work somewhere which I think has a 110VAC power supply for fixed use. I've seen them in pics now and then, but it's always in some mountaintop comms shelter attended by guys in thick-rimmed glasses sitting on 1960s caster-chairs :)

Mustang71

Greetings! I am a newby here at Steel Soldiers.. but your post caught my attention... we may be dipping from the same well? I just acquired about a 100 of these anteannas..all with the same nomenclature as you described... the lady I got them from had them sitting outside a three car garage.. she also said she thought they were for "tanks"? ..said her father in law was a hoarder... and that some other fella got all the "good stuff" in the garage"! lol. do you know if there is a market for these Shakespeare Wondershaft antennas? near Prospect Ave Indpls
Mustang71

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks