• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Supply's for a FMTV tire change ?

1951M1078

I now have 4 NOS tires to be put on my M1078. I have the tires.
4 New "O" rings for the wheels.

What do I also need ?

Thanks.

Ronmar

BFR or torque multiplier and appropriate sockets and extensions, Jack, jackstands, assorted wood blocks, hammer and pry bar to help break beads...

Ryan31783

depending on the condition of the 20 studs holding the wheel together, it may pay to chase the threads, 5/8-16 I believe.

I used an XB-550 bead breaker and soapy water, although I don't think the bead breaker is necessary as there is technically no bead to break, it just makes it easier to separate after sitting on there ~10 years.

After separating the front bead and removing the front of the wheel, it's nice to have a block of wood ready to catch the studs from hitting the ground when you flip the wheel over.

I used a 2" ratchet strap to compress the beadlock and replaced it with a 1" for better clearance before taking it out of the wheel, soapy water helps make everything easier

New o-rings may not be necessary, but in my experience it saves time if you have to pull the assembly back apart.

A 1" impact will make the job so much faster, but a torque multiplier will work as well. I believe the gun (with 1/2" hose feeding it) will get the bolts tighter and more consistent based on limited personal experience

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where can I find the sealing washers for the banjo bolts, Spicer # 673999?
Finditparts.com cancelled my orders; no stock.
Is there another supplier out there?
They're usually not too hard to find, eBay even. I think I also ordered some from my local Caterpillar/heavy-duty-truck supplier. Make sure to buy spares of everything... banjo o-rings, tire o-rings, even a valve stem assembly, because it really sucks if (WHEN!) you wreck one, and can't complete the job for another week while you order one more, and pay shipping all over again for one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks