• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1995 M1078 LMTV Transfer Case Removal

Runninwild

Question for y'all, I have looked for any info, post, and videos on this before posting, and haven't had any luck.

I have a 1995 M1078 LMTV and have a transmission issue, it will only move in 1st gear with Mode on, and will not go in reverse. It has the Allison MD3070PT with WTEC II TEPSS. The fluid was full and looked pretty clean. While troubleshooting it I pulled the filters and found that there was some heavy metal flake fluid around them. The filters didn't look like they were clogged but I changed them. I drained the transmission with the drain plug, it didn't have hardly anything on the magnet when I removed it. I then went to the transfer case and pulled the drain plug.... Wow, I had chunks of metal and the plug was beaten up. After the fluid stopped draining out I stuck my finger in the drain hole and felt more chunks, after grabbing a magnet I pulled out about 8 cylindrical bearings, plus many more pieces of them.

I pulled the drive shafts off and removed the yokes and cover plates on the rear of the unit. I found no signs of damage or an obvious bearing failures. So I need to keep going with my search however now things are getting in my way of removing the top cover and anything on the front side.

Could I get advise from someone who has removed a transfer case while still in the truck or from someone who has tried and found that you have take either take off the bed or the whole transmission to dissemble the transfer case from the transmission.

Please don't reply if you haven't done this. I'm seeking real advise from someone that's been there and done that.

Thank you

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have not separated the two but I do know there is a larger catch screen on the solenoid pack. You will want to drop that down and check there also. The trans and transfer share fluid. If the material is in the filter chances are its throughout the whole trans.

Runninwild

Suprman, Thank you
I'm going to try to get as much fluid out as I can, and more than likely drain and swap filters again if I get thing back together again.

Coffey,

I searched and could find anything on you tube accept the guys that pulled the filters out.

Ronmar

I dont think that you will be able to separate the transfer from the transmission in truck. The problem isnt the bed, it is the welded crossmember in the upper frame and the bolted one in the mainframe, right behind the transfer case.

That end cover on the back of the transfer, covers the C6 clutch pack. The problem for you is that C6 brakes/holds the sun gear of the P3 planetary gearset in the main transmission(thats how we get that really low first gear). It does this via a long shaft that runs forward thru the hollow transmission main output shaft and shaft extension adapter(part #5 in the drawing). It follows the path thru the transfer shown by the red line in that drawing and sets in the location in the assembly shown by the short red line in the second drawing. I have not found a single drawing that shows this well though.

Because of this you have to separate the transfer by at least the length of the transfer and that crossmember will not allow this...

Since the cat engine mounts are all the way at the front, you may be able to rotate the whole assembly(loosening and pivoting at the motor mounts and lowering the trans) enough to allow the transfer assembly to clear the crossmembers when retracted. The back of the cylinder head is rather close to the truck lifting assembly so I do not know whether this would interfere with rotating the assembly...

good luck!

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks