• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1958 M56B1 Build and Use: A Story

Scottyairborne

I am giving this truck a new thread, as it is has been ID’d and I am now starting to give it a direction.

1958 M56B1 original drivetrain, with winch, spotlight, hardtop (off of something), earlier M37 bed.

My wife and teenagers want to use it for parades, events, and occasional drive to school/work (5 minute rides each). It is in our garage in Northern Wisconsin, so winter use will be limited by who will brave cold with me.
FD10D47E-1172-41DD-9838-405408314E2F.jpgD8166315-137F-4AA6-9DAE-74129B4B282D.jpeg

Scottyairborne

I have ordered Trailworthy Fab recentered 12-bolt rims (flat black on olive drab powder coat) with 37x12.5 Goodyear MTs. No photos yet, but I will do before, after, and side-by-side photos when they arrive.

Scottyairborne

Taking to a local shop today for split exhaust (2nd dump off the heat exchanger). Will start with dual stacks and no mufflers, but will add mufflers if it is too loud.

The current exhaust exits exits right on passengers and must be changed (Mama’s order). Stacks are limited to cab height to fit in the garage. I will add rain flappers, because it just isn’t a tractor in my mind without them. Not sure if both exhausts will come out on the passenger side or if I will cross one over to driver side for aesthetic balance

Scottyairborne

Task List: Tires and rims balanced and mounted upon arrival, split exhaust and stacks underway , Selectro locking hubs ordered. Engine flush and all new fluids, new spider harness for under dash (previous owner disconnected due to deteriorating wires).

Then my kids and I will start cleaning up the body as we use. Basically replacing any missing bolts, tightening up anything (hardtop missing some bolts). Then slowly repaint with spray cans while enjoying for the summer...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks