• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problem after new HH installation

Finn

Hi

I’m new to the deuce.
I have changed the HH and every thing seems fine.

I have fuel all the Way to the HH but not at the injectors.

I have bled the filters and when trying to bleed the Lines i only have fuel at cylinder 1.

It has been suggested to me that my HH do not rotate... how do i check if it rotating ?
Any other suggestions on what my problem May be ?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How did you line up the Head pointer when you took the head out? When you rotated the engine and watched for the scribe to come up to the pointer then Head must have been rotating. Last time had to R&R the head and a no start the delivery valve needed to be removed and cleaned.

Last edited:

Finn

That is probably the gear on 5he side, its name escapes me right now.
I have a spare truck i’m going to take the pump from.
But it’s Not a Whistler ..... Can i ajust the timing before installing it or do i have to ajust it when installed ?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to check/adjust it once installed. To quote Floridianson in an older post:

"the pump gear has three bolts and three slots and one bolt in the center. When installing the pump you leave the three bolts loose and the gear showing the slots to the right or counterclock wise. With the har. bal. right on the mark then you use inner nut that is in the center of the gear to bring back you pump four window marks dead on. then tighten down three bolts on the gear. Then you HH head should be one tooth off to rear.
There were three spring pressures out there in different pumps something like 65lb 55lb and 100lb. The spring weights can effect performance.
I am do believing the one tooth off to rear is 12* and once the motor starts then fly weights start comming into play till we get higher rpm and a total of 20*

With out putting the pump on a stand we are kinda out of luck to check for proper advance and if it is comming in to early or to late. Just have to hope who ever set the pump up did it right then all we can do it tweek main fuel and test pressures from intank and lift pump."

M35tom says: " if your marks are lined up on the balancer and the advancer window, you are set."

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?58845-M35a2-Timing

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have a spare truck i’m going to take the pump from.
But it’s Not a Whistler ..... Can i ajust the timing before installing it or do i have to ajust it when installed ?
The important part is turbo or nonturbo. All you need to do is time the pump to the correct mark on the harmonic balancer and you'll be fine.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quill gear.

FloridaAKM

Another little tidbit to remember is when putting the HH back into the ip, make sure you get the HH gear meshed with the quill gear & the red tooth lined up with the arrow. If it does not slide in, don't force it; you can chip the teeth on the gears if you try to pull it down with the 4 bolts that hold it in place.

FloridaAKM

Another question for the experts here. The 85 deuce James & I got running a few weeks ago funs fine now. Exhaust & blowby do not smoke as much now as when started up originally. That said, when you let off of the throttle to slow down or shift, the engine tries to die or stumbles & then comes back up to the 800 rpm idle. Is there something I forgot to do or just run it till it clears up.?

FloridaAKM

Chris, I did that with the fuel after draining half of what was in the tank, then adding another 20 gallons of diesel fuel. Seems I just need to bleed the brake lines & change a flat tire & go run her for a bit to help clean out the engine. Thanks for the reply.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does the trouble shooting TM say? What the TM might say check idle and high idle fuel pressures. The tm does not talk about sticky fuel control assembly. We had the O ring / fuel control tighten down to where is was not sticky. Do you double check that real quick. I wanted you to disassemble the whole head and super clean it but you did not feel comfortable doing it by yourself. I should have pushed you harder or just done it when we had the head off with you. Now if it was the overflow valve stuck open a bit it might drop the head pressure to fast when returning from the normal 70 psi to 30. So do you remove the complete fitting from the head and give it a good cleaning. What do you want to do first.
FUD patrol on duty.

Last edited:

Katahdin

I don't think taking idle fuel pressures will show you much. I had the pressure relief valve leaking at the secondary fuel filters in my M109A3 -- a 0-100psi gauge read Zero and the truck idled fine and could drive 45 mph.

Edit: I mean, its a good idea to check to make sure you're making around 30psi pressure at idle, but don't micro analyze high/low idle fuel pressure readings.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think taking idle fuel pressures will show you much. I had the pressure relief valve leaking at the secondary fuel filters in my M109A3 -- a 0-100psi gauge read Zero and the truck idled fine and could drive 45 mph.Edit: I mean, its a good idea to check to make sure you're making around 30psi pressure at idle, but don't micro analyze high/low idle fuel pressure readings.
So you are saying we should not read the tm troubleshooting to find the problems. Don't let dog head see you said that. Trouble shooting step by step low fuel pressure overflow valve or bypass. Just because your gage did not read low enough to pick up a pressure reading it was there. Now if you used lower range gage bet you would have seen something for pressure at the head. Might be very low but it was there. The engine will run with very little head pressure but the performance will suffer. I got Allen running and I will find his idle stumble problem. Yes his will idle but when the throttle is snapped from a higher rpm to idle the governor is stumbling.
I have been helping Allen and he has been a good student. Now I was wanting him to tell me what maybe we should be checking to see if he was almost ready to fly alone. I talked to him tonight and he can and will work this out with a little help maybe but he will do it.

Last edited:

Finn

Well the IP is shot !!!
The gear that rotate the HH is broken and nives freely .... i’m now in the process of uninstalling the IP and Yesterday i did that on my parts truck !!

You have a lot of fun with the old trucks ..... and with fun i mean work !

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the IP is shot !!!
The gear that rotate the HH is broken and nives freely .... i’m now in the process of uninstalling the IP and Yesterday i did that on my parts truck !!

If I am reading it right your plunger guide broke. The quill shaft is what rotates the head gear and they can get broken to but the plunger guide is designed to break before anything else.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks