• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer Brake Question...yes, I'm posting in the 5-ton section

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moderators- advise if this is not the right forum but I believe the 5-ton forum is the right forum for this post because it deals with how to use/modify/adapt a 5-ton.
--------------------------------

I want to buy a decent equipment trailer (GVW ~24-30k) so I can haul backhoes, mini-dozers, etc. Now that I own a M923, I really want an equipment trailer that I can haul additional future MV's now that I got bit by the green bug!! I own a 1-ton diesel pickup that can tow this trailer but obviously there is an issue with brakes preventing the same trailer to be used effortlessly between my pickup and my M923.

So...

Do I get a trailer with air brakes (fairly common setup and availability at local auctions) to use easily with my 5-ton and then find a way to adapt it to my pickup? How do I do that?

Or do I get a trailer with electric brakes to use with my pickup and then find a way to adapt it to my 5-ton? How do I do that?

Assume it will get used equally between the pickup and 5-ton. I just need to know what's possible or safer when doing the air-over-electric or electric-over-air thing. I'm clueless in this area and I'm dubious of the 'quick and easy' adapters on the interwebs...need some expert advice.

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Totally agree with Floridianson. If you insist on that trailer for both trucks, electric over hydraulic is the only way I can think of. Problem is thats too heavy to bumper pull on the pickup, so your looking at 5th wheel trailers...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Air brakes.

You wont find a pintle trailer tall enough for your 5 ton that will carry 10 tons that will he light, low enough or have correct brakes for your pickup .

Or get a gooseneck trailer and rig up a ball on the rear of the 5 ton and an adapter box to power the electric brakes

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Floridianson- I agree air brakes are the best for large heavy weights. And I would generally only use the M923 to pull a 'heavy' load and even then only a few miles from the equipment rental place to the ranch. I, nor my 5-ton, is at the level of Simp who could haul a FMTV from China if it wasn't for those pesky oceans. Would be using the trusted powerstroke for trips that require a big gulp in the cup holder.

Jbulach- I like yanking goosenecks- they're stable, easy to maneuver and are a staple down here. The only issue I have with a gooseneck is they're generally not as sturdy compared to the equipment trailers who can handle more floor pressure. I have a fear of trying to drive a backhoe or future emotionally purchased M939 onto a goose and punching a tire through an aged wooden deck. Maybe it's an unfounded fear and my OCD for overkill is taking over. That's a pretty common thing with me.

Simp- I figured the pintle heights would be close to M939's since almost every sturdy equipment trailer I have seen was pulled by a dumptruck with pintle. Interesting idea of putting a gooseneck ball on the 5 ton. Are you thinking on top of the bed or hanging a "drop down" hitch thing off the back to mimic pickup height. I need to spend some time understanding the right adapter to hook an electric brake to the M923. On good note, the M923 would probably compensate for the weaker electric brakes as opposed for the pickup being pushed around by a heavy air brake trailer.

I'm trying to avoid getting two trailers when one will do (and I have $ reserve to buy another MV!) :wink:

162tcat

Get an equipment trailer with airbrakes and be done with it. I have an equipment trailer with electric brakes just because I got a smoking deal on it but if I was shopping around I would go air brakes.

Going electric brakes sounds like a great idea because you can pull it behind a regular pick up but you would be surprised how heavy it is. If you look at most heavy equipment trailers the axles are set much farther to the rear than your standard car trailer that you would haul behind a pick up so the tongue weight is substantial even empty. I have pulled mine behind my Dodge/Cummins 3500 with airbags and it is extremely heavy back there on the hitch. You will try this once or twice and then give up on that idea and be back to hauling it behind the 923.

I have a standard 14 K flatbed and a dump trailer that I use behind my pick up and I have a 24K equipment trailer that I use behind the 923. From a safety standpoint each is designed for its application and it’s best to not try and mix the uses.

And because I know this question will probably be asked, I have a relay box that converts the 24V to 12V so I can haul any of my trailers behind the 923 and I converted the brake signal to 12 V as well which feeds to a prodigy brake box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an equipment trailer with electric brakes just because I got a smoking deal on it but if I was shopping around I would go air brakes.
That's part of my dilemma as there are a few equipment trailers with electric brakes. They not very common but when they come up at auction it's usually a good deal since air brakes are preferred.

Going electric brakes sounds like a great idea because you can pull it behind a regular pick up but you would be surprised how heavy it is. If you look at most heavy equipment trailers the axles are set much farther to the rear than your standard car trailer that you would haul behind a pick up so the tongue weight is substantial even empty. I have pulled mine behind my Dodge/Cummins 3500 with airbags and it is extremely heavy back there on the hitch. You will try this once or twice and then give up on that idea and be back to hauling it behind the 923.
I didn't even think about trailer axle placement but I can see that pretty easily in all the auction pics. Good call- tongue weight is probably the deciding factor for me, especially since I have a single rear axle 1-ton. My truck has the power and torque but agree it's not safe to overload the tongue...not at all. This is why I posted- sincerely appreciate the input from folks who've been there done that.

And because I know this question will probably be asked, I have a relay box that converts the 24V to 12V so I can haul any of my trailers behind the 923 and I converted the brake signal to 12 V as well which feeds to a prodigy brake box.
Using an electric trailer for my M923 sounds like a future project. Maybe I should just focus on bullet-proofing my M923 so it's not a pucker ride for longer trips.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hydraulic surge brake works well to 20k.

ross165123

Id just go with a gooseneck with electric brakes

Edit: sorry just noticed its a 923, but I would still go electric if posible so many more options of use and you can still haul some nice loads. I jave a 24k that is airover hydro that uses 13in Chevy drum brakes

Last edited:

fasttruck

Think about finding a M322 trailer for sale. Straight air brakes, drawbar, and 24 volt lights. Will work with a M923. 20K capacity. If you want to move equipment with a pick-up AND a 5 ton you need 2 trailers.

Lukes_deuce

I thought about the same thing for my 923, so I borrowed a econoline 12 ton backhoe pro trailer from my uncle for a few months. Electric brakes, 23 foot deck and weighs right at 5000lbs. My 2016 ram 2500 pulled it fine empty, but it is tongue heavy. With the electric brakes being junk, I wouldnt tow anything on it. Behind the 5 ton, I would tow a skid steer or a back hoe. It was a great trailer for the 5 ton, but I wouldnt recommend it for a pick up. I will be getting a 20 ton air brake trailer for the 5 ton and eventually get a smaller 5 ton trailer for my pick up.

74M35A2

Anything a pickup truck can pull, can be stopped on a dime by an M939 truck and give 9 cents change, even without a brake connection. This is separate from legality, but the braking force of an M939 is pretty dam strong.

I think you are trying to cross 2 separate categories, which is why it is deliberately difficult.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Anything a pickup truck can pull, can be stopped on a dime by an M939 truck and give 9 cents change, even without a brake connection. This is separate from legality, but the braking force of an M939 is pretty dam strong.

I think you are trying to cross 2 separate categories, which is why it is deliberately difficult.
Braking force of a 939 may be strong but it also will pick the arse end of the truck off the ground and cause a heavy trailer, even a civilain one, to push right thru the pintle and turn the truck around in a heartbeat. Even 6000lbs can do it. Go back to playing with your motor on the stand newbie.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks