• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Camo painting

Bill in pa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the guys that have painted camo before.
Can you please explain how to mask and get that nice full coverage of paint but still keep the faded edge.
I'm thinking masking tape and roll the edge back to get the faded edge.
Seams like be hard to gut smooth lines from not wanting to bend
For the brown. I'm thinking rustoleum rusty metal primer?
For the black. Thoughts are rustoleum flat black.
Both are enamel going over the GCI enamel 34094 green

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rustoleum flat black does not have the blue tint in it that the FS does. The camo black in rattle cans is closer. Brown in Rustoleum camo (rattle cans) is close.

I'd get a sample or quart of the Behr Ultra (acrylic latex) in the FS black and the 383 brown and try it. So far the only thing I have had compatibility issues was on aluminum. I do use a little Floetrol to slow it down and even it out. Brush, roller and spray all work.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rustoleum flat black looks good on application, but over say a year (if it's parked outside) the black goes to grey which gets progressively lighter as time goes by, eventually becoming very light grey.
Same goes for high temp barbeque paint.
The camo black costs more, but stays black longer.

Rustoleum primer is too red for 383 camo. Their camo brown is too dark, but close enough for many folk.
If you want the correct colours, I suggest Gillespie paints from Rapco. Some people don't like it, but I've been using it almost exclusively for 18 years, it holds up well and is the correct colour. The black stays black longer than anything else I've tried.

As regards pattern, my personal method is to lightly mark reference points with a pencil (easily erased and remarked if you don't like where you put it) in a dashed line with big gaps. I find that easy to follow with the paint. I have a buddy who prefers to draw the entire line in pencil, because he feels he needs more guidance.

Cheers

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Camo rustoleum is what I am using
Do they make it in quarts or gallons? I do like the oil based paints but found there is a difference in the flat black and the camo.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have no clue I just buy a bunch of rattle cans. I like the brown because it's dark. I park in a real shady or dark area you really have to be looking to see truck.

Weller

That looks great, nice job.

I use the rustoleum camo cans on trucks and trailers. For shelters or large surface areas I use a sprayer with various spray tips.

59apache

Chipmaker
For the guys that have painted camo before.
Can you please explain how to mask and get that nice full coverage of paint but still keep the faded edge.
I'm thinking masking tape and roll the edge back to get the faded edge.
Seams like be hard to gut smooth lines from not wanting to bend
For the brown. I'm thinking rustoleum rusty metal primer?
For the black. Thoughts are rustoleum flat black.
Both are enamel going over the GCI enamel 34094 green
I've used the pattern from the TM and a beamer :)
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...r-Conversion&p=1237602&viewfull=1#post1237602

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks