• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 dually tires

319cssb

Has anyone tried to mount hmmwv tires on a dually? Is it possible without doing major changes? Would you need a spacer on the rear tires? I would like to keep it as a dually set up.
How could that work out?

LT67

For starters you would need 16.5 diameter dually wheels.... and yes spacers will be needed.

A Toyo MT 255 85 16 should fit with no spacers and they measure every bit of 33.5in tall.

319cssb

I may not have been clear. I want to use HMMWV tires on 16.5 rims. Has anyone managed to put these on a 1028 dually?
Is there actually a truck that uses 16.5 dually wheels?

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have hmmwv tires on my 1028A3. You need 16.5 dually wheels with a 4.5 inch diameter bore. I made the mistake of getting wheels with a 4.75 inch bore and then had to get hub centric rings made to center the wheels.

You will need 3/4 inch spacers between the brake drum and inner dual on the rear. I have 2 inch spacers between the duals but could have/should have gone with 1.5 inch apacers.

You may need a spacer in front. I have 1/2 inch spacers up front and I still rub the tie rod at full right turn.

Attachments

Last edited:

nyoffroad

16.5 wheels are getting hard to find and dually 16.5s ... I haven't seen any of those in years. A lot of that old stuff has been crushed and melted back when scrap price was so high. Good luck, it does have a nice look.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
16.5 Dually wheels (4.75 inch hub bore)
https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wheels/Dexstar/AM20730.html

$127 each.

2 inch rear spacer
https://www.wheeladapter.com/product/ford-chevy-truck-8-by-6-and-a-half-steel-wheel-spacer

$370

3/4 inch spacer
https://wheeladaptersusa.com/collec...-gmc-sierra-f-250-f-350?variant=5554805309471

$60

My truck came with a spacer between the duals. I had it machined down 1/4 inch at 4.75 inch to mount the front wheels. $100

I also had to get longer studs for the front. $200

Hub centric rings. $40

4 inch lift to clear the tires without cutting sheet metal.

Last edited:

tobyS

Would it have been possible to use the HMMWV wheels on the front or some non-bud wheels (I have some older trailer rims that are 16.5)? Looks good.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But that set is to convert a SRW to a DRW. He already has a dually (I think) and he wants to mount 16.5 inch hmmwv tires.

319cssb

Correct, i have duallies on the m1028.
I am not sure if i want to lift the truck though. Have to let that idea marinade a bit.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
cucv.jpgThis is my 1984 M1008 with hmmwv wheels and tires. I used Off Road Design zero rate 1 inch block and did a lot of trimming on the front fenders. I used Arrowcraft front axle dually adapters on both axles to get the wheels out and get the front wheels to clear everything. (The same company cucvrus referred to, great product)

The rear tires cleared with no problems.

You wouldn't need the front adapters but if you want to run 37's your going to have to either trim your fenders considerably or lift the truck, or a less aggressive combination.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks