• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stuck in the can...

Ajax MD

Today, I observed that I don't seem to have enough safe attachment points to hoist a T-138 transfer case out of the can.
There is one large dog ear (circled in red) that looks safe and strong enough but I don't see any attachment points anywhere else. This view is looking straight down into the can, from above.

Thoughts?

SS_Tcase.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Stagger your chain and lift from the companion flanges two 3/8" bolts per flange will hold it plenty.

Ajax MD

Stagger your chain and lift from the companion flanges two 3/8" bolts per flange will hold it plenty.
By companion flange, do you mean the flange around the perimeter? Remove some of the bolts and replace with 3/8" eye bolts or am I missing something?

Ajax MD

I have picked up alot of transfer cases by that one place,using a small clevis.
John, when you lift in this manner, it just sort of rotates in the can and "stands up" as it's lifted out? That one hoisting eye will carry the whole load safely?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
By companion flange, do you mean the flange around the perimeter? Remove some of the bolts and replace with 3/8" eye bolts or am I missing something?
companion flanges are the flat flanges that the driveshafts hook to. the two looking right at you.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ah, ok. It won't hurt the output shaft bearings to hang the T-case by them?
No. the weight of picking it up won't hurt anything. It has a nut securing the shaft to the pinion flange and the inner bearing retainers won't let it move but within its tolerances. If it weighed 3000lbs or more i wouldn't do it but you wont hurt it with as light as it is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks