• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Colorado Bill SB19-054 RE: (Former) Military Vehicle Motor Vehicle Regulation

Reworked LMTV

Very concerning NEW regulation of military vehicles in Colorado-NO HWY USE

Originally Posted by BuiltMFG
No sure where to go from here:
Colorado S.B. 19-054

Military Vehicle Motor Vehicle Regulation
Concerning the regulation of surplus military vehicles for the purposes of operation on the highway, and, in connection therewith, making an appropriation.
The bill defines surplus military vehicles as off-highway vehicles for the purposes of titling these vehicles and of using these vehicles off road. These changes in the definition do the following:
A surplus military vehicle may be titled as an off-highway vehicle;
A surplus military vehicle is not registered as a motor vehicle;
A surplus military vehicle is treated as an off-highway vehicle for the purposes of on-road use and off-road use.
These changes do not apply to military vehicles that are valued for historical purposes.

(Note: This summary applies to the reengrossed version of this bill as introduced in the second house.)

https://leg.colorado.gov/bills/sb19-054

Digging through this. Does this mean military vehicles CANNOT be used on the road? Does this mean current vehicles registered CANNOT be driven on the road? (Not grandfathered). If this is the case, then you need to Kruse Auctions / Govplanet immediately. Follow the money trail. If they cannot sell Military vehicles, the cannot make money. They will want to fight this.

I don't live in CO, but we DO NOT want ANY precedent like this. Put pressure on the bill sponsors that made this happen. Do so as a group. What is their logic for this bill?

Here is a letter that I wrote tonight to Ritchie Bros / Govplanet:
Hello!
I purchased an LMTV from GOPlanet in the past. I am very happy with my purchase. The service was excellent.

I am concerned with new regulations that may impact military vehicle enthusiasts. New regulations in Colorado set a dangerous precedent for military vehicle enthusiasts, and will likely have a negative impact on your sales. No one will purchase these vehicles if they cannot use them on the highway. Please help us stop this type of regulations, through monitoring legislative proposals and advocating for the purchasers of these vehicles at the regulatory level. These vehicles are quite popular with Overlanding enthusiasts, and make up a large portion of auction purchases. Everyone loses if this type of legislation proliferates.

Thank you for your consideration!

Last edited by Reworked LMTV; Today at 21:21.​

coachgeo

need to get this one line defined.

"A surplus military vehicle is treated as an off-highway vehicle for the purposes of on-road use and off-road use."

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That definition means its off highway use period regardless of your intent to use it on highway. The law is in effect apparently as of Monday.

This should be moved to the political section. Also it depends on where you live and the law if the city/county must adopt an ordinance to enforce a law, until they do you can keep driving it however state law enforcement can enforce it wherever. It also depends on the city policy on laws as well some adopt the laws as soon as the state passes it. Some have to go thru their own adoption

Attachments

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, I didn't hear about that at all. I wonder what their sudden and severe beef was?

Interesting that it excludes... "HISTORICAL MILITARY VEHICLE" MEANS A VEHICLE OF ANY SIZE OR WEIGHT THAT IS VALUED FOR HISTORICAL PURPOSES, THAT WAS MANUFACTURED FOR USE BY ANY NATION'S ARMED FORCES, AND THAT IS MAINTAINED IN A CONDITION THAT REPRESENTS ITS MILITARY DESIGN AND MARKINGS.

So just don't paint it like Mad Max Mobile and you're good?

Also doesn't include trailers, or other things that aren't self-propelled. "SURPLUS MILITARY VEHICLE" MEANS A SELF-PROPELLEDVEHICLE...

Our rep is usually at the 4th of July festival tomorrow. I'll see if I can talk to her about it.

Last edited:

Amer-team

So don't you value your vehicle for historical purposes? While not living in that state, everyone I own is an historical vehicle. It is sort of odd that for the minor amount of vehicles out there, they would exclude any of them from being purposed for business.

fasttruck

I smell the dead hand of the feds behind this. Don't be surprised if it soon nationwide. It appears they do not encourage surplus vehicles for vocational us on road as by construction companies, landscapers, delivery services etc. so you can buy a new commercial truck from your friendly dealer. After WW1, I am told, sales of new commercial vehicles ceased for three years and did not resume until all the surplus military vehicles that flooded the market after the war were sold. Truck manufacturers have lobbied ever since to protect their market from military surplus vehicles.

DREDnot

I smell the dead hand of the feds behind this. Don't be surprised if it soon nationwide. It appears they do not encourage surplus vehicles for vocational us on road as by construction companies, landscapers, delivery services etc. so you can buy a new commercial truck from your friendly dealer. After WW1, I am told, sales of new commercial vehicles ceased for three years and did not resume until all the surplus military vehicles that flooded the market after the war were sold. Truck manufacturers have lobbied ever since to protect their market from military surplus vehicles.
THIS.

Same deal with the legendary mass jeep burial at sea after WW2. Willys wanted to sell new jeeps on VJ day+1

Reworked LMTV

Wow, I didn't hear about that at all. I wonder what their sudden and severe beef was?

Interesting that it excludes... "HISTORICAL MILITARY VEHICLE" MEANS A VEHICLE OF ANY SIZE OR WEIGHT THAT IS VALUED FOR HISTORICAL PURPOSES, THAT WAS MANUFACTURED FOR USE BY ANY NATION'S ARMED FORCES, AND THAT IS MAINTAINED IN A CONDITION THAT REPRESENTS ITS MILITARY DESIGN AND MARKINGS.

Also doesn't include trailers, or other things that aren't self-propelled. "SURPLUS MILITARY VEHICLE" MEANS A SELF-PROPELLEDVEHICLE...

Our rep is usually at the 4th of July festival tomorrow. I'll see if I can talk to her about it.
The whole impetus for such a move sounds fishy to me. Follow the money trail. You will likely find your answer there.

Reworked LMTV

Get GovPlanet involved. Write them. They will want to be involved in derailing this awful amendment.

Reworked LMTV

We need leverage on this issue of NO HIGHWAY use in Colorado. Don't think this won't work its way to your State. Please contact: Ian Malinski at GOVPLANET / RB Auctions. Alert him to your concerns. They won't be selling much inventory if this type of draconian legislation proliferates.

[h=4]Media[/h]Contact Ian Malinski:
CorpComm@rbauction.com or 778.331.5432.

Media information on rbauction.com

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Let's jump to conclusions. The EPA debacle that was surely a backhanded tactic of the government to reclaim all the MVs out there turned out to not be the case. Heck I thought we'd never see HMMWVs even being auctioned off, completely missed the mark on that one too.

Best course is to assemble the troops when the objective is completely in the open and strike with a directed force. Anything else just makes us look a fool.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Nope. CO DMV internal memo says not to title or register any military vehicle, including historical interest MV. Here's a screenshot of the memo and a screenshot of a close up of the portion that kills the historical ones also...

Screenshot_20190704-142945_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20190704-143350_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Reworked LMTV

I think that every parade is an opportunity to talk about these issues. A banner draped on the side of the truck stating "Help us preserve Military Vehicles by supporting our "Get Back On the Road petition". Something like that. Veterans will help. VFW members would help. Who wants a 20,000# paperweight? No one (or extremely few) will buy these vehicles for just parades. Give me a break!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Only arguement someone could make is dystopia. It is what I won my code enforcement case on based on their ordinance and other crap. It has actually been declared unconstitutional in 4 state appeal courts that the government is not allowed to control what someone wants to call a personal vehicle.

It also falls under the right of freedom of association. If I come to Colorado and they attempt to ticket me and impound my vehicle based on that it is not for road use in your state but my state says it is then it tramples on that right

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only arguement someone could make is dystopia. It is what I won my code enforcement case on based on their ordinance and other crap. It has actually been declared unconstitutional in 4 state appeal courts that the government is not allowed to control what someone wants to call a personal vehicle.

It also falls under the right of freedom of association. If I come to Colorado and they attempt to ticket me and impound my vehicle based on that it is not for road use in your state but my state says it is then it tramples on that right
It is also an interference with 'interstate commerce' or "interstate travel' on highways that are financed with a Federal Highway Fuel Tax (and state taxes on that same fuel).

coachgeo

Looks like if your driving thru your fine....

it is if your living in CO and want to register/title your vehicle that is the issue.... if your intentions is for parades only... your fine.... its the commercial users, the expedition truck builders (self made and professional) and just folk that like good ol' big military-ish trucks in CO. etc.

Looked at it close..... the legislation states this includes OTHER COUNTRY's former military trucks. There is what... 2. 3? major expedition truck builders in CO. Rob Pickering, and Global Expedition Vehicles that use Unimogs etc. too. Pretty sure there are other builders as well. I've emailed those two and more in other states to point them to this discussion .

Last edited:

SgtMajHarper

I don't know right off who the new boss is at DOR, they all changed when the Dems took control of the whole state after the last election. It is DOR's interpretation and implementation of the law that is the issue. They have sent guidance to all the county clerks in the state as to the current implementation of not following the law as written. My guess is if the director is not aware of it, someone high up made the decision based on their own uneducated desires. If going to the top and asking "WTF"? doesn't work,maybe an interpretation from the new Dem. Attorney General who has zero court experience, followed by contacting legislators and maybe something that has to go before the courts. Anyway I see it either it could be a quick fix based on a mistake and reversing their decision or a long drawn out process based on rumblings I hear from the guys working around these guys and the lefty agenda that they are pushing in spite of the populace.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please help me understand this a bit more. If I decide to drive my gun truck War Wagon to Fort Collins or Greeley Colorado from Cheyenne Wyoming, what will happen? Will they try to ticket me? Maybe try to confiscate it? Any MV shows south of the Wyoming border have become off limits to me? I really dislike politics. :soapbox::rant:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks