• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Colorado Bill SB19-054 RE: (Former) Military Vehicle Motor Vehicle Regulation

Another Ahab

I talked to our Colorado House rep at the 4th of July festival, and she had no idea that the function of the law had been reversed in committee.
Talking, face-to-face, with staff of the legislators goes a long way:

- Our daughters each did congressional internships in their early college summers

- Legislators are busy people, they don't always know everything about all the various issues put before them (they get swamped like anybody would)

- They depend on others (like staff) to keep them up-to-date (so we learned)

And being an old sales-and-marketing guy, nothing is as effective as the look-in-the-eye with a handshake, person to person will always be the key (IT or not).

You done good!

coachgeo

I have been somewhat included it the exchange of information as this legislation got started and moved though the process to become law....
Okay, what can be done? Well, the President of our club has a date set for a meeting with the Director of the DOR. He has talked to that person by phone about how the way this legislation is being interpreted and is not within the wording or the intent of the bill sponsors, one was a republican the other a democratic. This bill passed both houses with all yes and just one vote as present. Hopefully the results of the meeting with the DOR will change how the DMV is doing business with Former Military Vehicles/Historical Military Vehicles.

I understand everyone feelngs about this topic. It's not for me to tell anyone what they should or should not do but at this point, all should stay rock steady and stand-by for now until new and hopefully good information is in hand.

Sitting a waiting sucks
any updates from this meeting?

mann650

I too hope that the discussions are inclusive of all MV's, I would love to help and am struggling to find constructive efforts to focus my energies on. From listening to the comments from the hearings, the opponents to the MV's are largely concerned about opinions issued by various regulatory bodies regarding design standards and emissions. However misguided these opinions are, they do carry weight with people that are to busy to dig further. In short, if the NHTSA says so, than we must follow it. Unfortunately the NHTSA and others have often used the M988 as the example, and thus, the more "modern" MV's are seen as particularly offensive. I recognize that asking for permission for all military vehicles is the harder and more difficult fight, but I think it must be done. This decision will effect generations to come and in 20 years the HMMWV will be as interesting to the public as the GBW. I'm not a fan of regulation on anything but here we are, and now we have to figure out what the best possible option is to fight this. I don't know what the MVCC is asking for in their discussions, for now I will hope for the best, and plan for the worst.

41cl8m5

I have not heard anything as of today. The MVCC understands the entire topic in the state on the issue. You can bet all kinds of folks are seeing what is being put here and on other "open" sites. It can be good but it can also make things very difficult too. My posts on this topic were from the point of view of a representative of the club and I tried to keep it at that. I was not excluding anyone or everyone else that has a stake in this issue. I just figured others with MV involvement that are not members of the club and the bill effects them would chime in on what their plans are to get things right. Don't give up, never surrender! (a quote from the movie Galaxy Quest)

SgtMajHarper

In the for what it's worth category I've been anxiously watching this thread to see where it ends up at. There are so many other types of vehicles that this could be twisted into effecting. I spent 30 years as a Colorado Sate Trooper here enforcing our MV laws, DOR regulations and the like. If someone wants to start conversations about what is and not required for it to be called a street legal vehicle I still instruct this at our local Regional LE Academy. Soft doors on vehicles are actually fine as doors are not even required on any vehicle (you can buy after market soft doors for your Jeep or just take the doors clear off-legal), seat belts only have to be in cars built after a certain year, metal dash boards are legal, only one tail light, on and on and this all pertains to every old rust bucket or pretty shiny rebuilt car out there whether its a collector or just a jalopy or even a brand new car. By rights this screwed up application of the new law should or could effect all the old car clubs, truck clubs, model A, model T etc. that some people are very fond of if someone doesn't get educated.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I went to a BBQ fundraising event that my rep, Lori Saine was holding. I took the LMTV, parked close to the entrance, and talked with a few representatives/senators, the current and former county sheriff, and a few others. Nobody had any idea this was going on, but hopefully they'll look into it.
LMTVLoriSaine.jpg

coachgeo

Today I went to a BBQ fundraising event that my rep, Lori Saine was holding.....talked with a few representatives/senators, the current and former county sheriff, and a few others. Nobody had any idea this was going on, but hopefully they'll look into it.
follow up with letter and email. Lot on their plate at the event (pardon the pun) and liably went home without a recording put into their brain cells of the conversation you had with them.

coachgeo

and a similar ball has rolled to another state... to I'm sure know one's surprise, the ball took a bounce right to CA

I just want to make a quick post to inform people on some changes that are taking place in the California DMV. I have a couple friends who are converting their trucks to RVs, and also including myself converting a Volvo semi tractor into an RV. What I was told by CHP and another member was that DMV is no longer going to allow military vehicles to be converted into registered RVs. Also commercial vehicles will no longer be able to be registered as anything other than a commercial vehicle. This is directly from California Highway patrol commercial vehicle inspector and licensing officer here in El Cajon California. Of course I am not a law expert nor a lawyer, but beware before you buy one of these trucks or any military vehicle that you check into the registration laws in the state of California first. One of my military collector friends is running into big issues as they told him only military vehicles 1968 and older well allowed to be registered in California, and only for parade use up to 18 miles per year. Again do your own research and ask your own questions but this is what I was told from members and the CHP commercial inspector.

tommys2patrick

I was down to the larimer county office to get new stickers for plates on various vehicles, all non military. While there I decided to ask about plating a military vehicle. The clerk initially did not know anything about new regulations. Pressing her a little more she finally found the memo from the director of the department of revenue at the state office. She looked puzzled as she apparently did not read the memo originally. Anywho, the end result was, no you can't get on road plates any longer for military vehicles. I tried to explore the idea of agricultural tags, recreational, home built, hot rod, antique, etc. The answer was no to all other plate types as well.

SgtMajHarper

I still have questions in my mind about what if your vehicle isn't necessarily recognized as just a military vehicle? My first truck is an M715, there are more on the road in civilain attire than military drab, what about various Blazers, Dodge garden variety vehicles that came from uncle Sam but happen to be sporting green paint? Flat fender Jeeps? Not much difference in an MB and an early CJ. On and on.....I hate beuro-craps!

Reworked LMTV

I was down to the larimer county office to get new stickers for plates on various vehicles, all non military. While there I decided to ask about plating a military vehicle. The clerk initially did not know anything about new regulations. Pressing her a little more she finally found the memo from the director of the department of revenue at the state office. She looked puzzled as she apparently did not read the memo originally. Anywho, the end result was, no you can't get on road plates any longer for military vehicles. I tried to explore the idea of agricultural tags, recreational, home built, hot rod, antique, etc. The answer was no to all other plate types as well.
Band together and fight!

mann650

I have not heard anything, so far my letters to senators and Representative have been met with the standard "we have recorded your opposition to the law" kind of comment, or the comment that these vehicles should have never been issued on-road titles (We all know that varies on a case by case basis and even that basis is shaky). I would love to band together but I don't have much time to do more that write a letter or two. Does anyone have the time to organize us? Pipe up and I will gladly help as much as I can.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks