• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DRASH Shelter Transport Trailer Remodel

Weller

Picked up a 2007 Applied Companies DRASH Shelter Transport Trailer in Yermo from GP on Friday. I'd been looking at these trailers the past few weeks, not for the generator or the ECU, but as a potential trailer to mount my S250 shelter on. I've yet to see anyone use the trailer this way so I'll post the process here.

Basically, this shelter on this trailer...
20190402_073349.jpg 20190419_113519.jpg

I really liked the dual stabilizing legs, which my M105 and M1102 lack. I also liked that it's a flat trailer after the ecu/gen are removed, giving me space for a few items on the deck.

I'm thankful to those that post about hauling items home since it helps me get an idea what I can haul on my own, which of my trucks I can use, and when I should hire a pro.

I had just used my Dodge Ram 2500 for another pickup and had not unloaded the bed first, so all I had was my Chevy 1500. Thought she'd do ok (she did) even though it's a lower truck and there would be quite a bit of weight on the bumper.

I wired up temporary trailer lights, removed all loose items on trailer and loaded them in the truck, even brought a spare matching trailer tire and tools just in case.

I skipped one major step, can you see it (of course you can)?
20190419_073858.jpg 20190419_105011.jpg

The generator was not secured to the trailer!

In hindsight I'm thankful I didn't bring my lifted truck as the trailer would not have had such a forward tilt.

The ECU was bolted to the trailer (thank goodness) but it appears the generator may have been removed to have fluids removed and then hoisted back onto the trailer without being secured.

I moved the generator back to it's mounting position, and got working to see if it would start up.

Fluids had been drained and parts missing included oil filter, fuel filter, batteries, dip stick, radiator cap, oil cap, two cover doors, and the cap for the 24v slave port. Radiator hose was cracked off, fuel hoses were in poor shape, and some wiring had been cut.

20190419_121249.jpg 20190419_120825.jpg

I made my list and went to fetch (around the farm) anything I could find to use temporarily (it's a 70 mile drive to the nearest auto parts store). I got everything but the cap for the slave port, my lucky day.

I didn't have an oil filter so I pulled one from an MEP-803A and it fit good enough to create a seal. I used 2 different 12v car batteries (one 700CCA and one 800CCA). I bypassed the fuel filter, added 4 gallons of diesel, and primed manually. I cut the radiator hose and re clamped it, added fluid and started adding oil.

Within minutes there was a stream of oil pouring out the bottom even though I closed the drain hose. Got underneath to see what was going on.

20190420_121314.jpg 20190419_160203.jpg

Dang! Whoever drained the oil did so with a drill, and they made quite a few attempts. Double dang! My trailer came out on a forklift and it looks like one of the wiring harnesses got nicked pretty good. Maybe not my lucky day after all.

By the way, that's the oil pan after I cleaned it and removed the generator support bracket, I searched for the leak an hour+ and only found it after adding more oil and laying underneath to watch the drip pathway.

While not a convenient location (compared to the standard oil drain plug) I admit more fluid comes out with hole in the bottom. I may weld a drain plug in place of the hole or just weld it shut, undecided as of yet. I matched the hole with a bolt, some plumbers tape, and duct tape, and got a pretty good seal. As to not lose more oil, I drained my 803 (due for an oil change) and poured it in.

I was determined to see if this thing would at least start before I began taking it apart and salvaging what I could.

Followed instructions on the panel and it started right up! Hot dang!
20190419_180528.jpg

Hard to see in the photo but there was fuel spraying everywhere, but I have a running generator, my lucky day after all.

Shut it down, drained oil (the hole works great), and called it a day. This weekend I'll redo the fuel hoses and get the correct filters, flush the fuel tank, add two new matching batteries, and a few other tasks. I'll move the generator to another trailer and get working on either parting out the ecu or see if there's a market for it as is (R22 model - drained).

Generator engine is a Perkins. Checking this site and others it appears the oil filter is Perkins 140517050 ( Wix 51340 ) but filter I put on looked too small. Fuel separator installed was Delphi but I can't read the numbers.

20190419_175021.jpg

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. Once I get the S-250 onto the trailer I'll size space for a generator, but something small for camping.
A nice little Honda generator or ?? will be perfect.
I was joking about that generator on trailer with the shelter, as it would be way overkill in power, size and noise, etc.

Weller

I figured you were joking about that generator on trailer with the shelter. I'm working on getting them side by side on trailers so I can put the generator to use while building the project.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks