• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Chamber removal question

jpfever

I am in the process of attempting to remove a set rear air chambers from one of the rear wheels on my truck. The brakes are caged, now trying to loosen the spanner/collet nut so I can proceed with the removal of the air chamber. Any suggestions on getting that nut loose?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You can use a small hammer and screwdriver or blunt chisel to loosen them sometimes. If you can get in there with a large pair of channel locks that sometimes works. Sometimes you can spin the whole assembly loose. Sometimes they are corroded and painted over and you just have to keep working at it.

jpfever

You can use a small hammer and screwdriver or blunt chisel to loosen them sometimes. If you can get in there with a large pair of channel locks that sometimes works. Sometimes you can spin the whole assembly loose. Sometimes they are corroded and painted over and you just have to keep working at it.
Thanks

wandering neurons

Long (12" or more) steel punch and 2+ lb hand sledge worked for mine. The lock rings looked like a beaver had chewed on them, but I had spares (thanks Suprman).

AlbertaM931

Like the guys said above, some love with a screwdriver/pry bar and dead blow hammer should do the trick. As always with spring brakes use EXTRA caution , even though caged things can be corroded & not work as they are intended. Happy wrenching!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks