• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 Tandem Axle Upgrade to MK

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
So. Yeah. I have that issue of not leaving crap alone so here is another quest/challenge. An MK15A1 rear assembly swap into the 923. Let's just call the truck an XM923A5 or something along those lines at this point. Only thing that is basically a 5 ton is the Front axle, cab, hood, bed. So let's go with it.
Basics are that the mk15 unit is RS580 axles on a walking beam with three 5" tapered parabolic springs so the ride should be alot better. Ratios for the axles I have found to be 5.57 ratio with a power divider front and both containing locker valves on the shaft housing. Rear assembly weight rating specs range from a 58k to 68k rating depending on manual. Not too shabby. It currently has the 16R21s on it however standard Hemtt wheels will work as basically the HEMTT 984 wrecker uses the same axles, hubs, brakes, etc with the only difference being the wheel stud and lug nuts. S cam brakes and ABS are all there as well. Differential uses the same 1710 companion flange a 5 ton uses so the driveline won't change.

The whole rear unit may actually move to the rear of the truck by about 2 inches further back than at current. The between axle width is several inches wider as well.

Issues I have to compensate on is the center cross/brace member that has the torque rods going to it. So either cut the stock 923 member out and add that one or modify/add torque rod brackets onto mine. I would rather use the Mk15 cross member as it has the vertical bolt mounts already in place. However some back bracing on the inside of the frame will be needed. The bogie unit is 34.75" wide inside to inside. A 5 ton frame is 34in wide. So not too much difference but I am planning in using some channel for frame reinforcements like the LWB trucks however mine will run from about the rear of the cab all the way thru the rear frame. Splitting the difference on the 3/4" on each wide will be the work. With all the cold rivets in the frame will probably just snipe some holes in the channel with the plasma to go over those.

Pros behind this: Better ride quality with the springs. Increased weight capacity which isn't really needed. but it will get rid of some of the trailer tongue weight with the shift to the rear. No danger from a busted torque rod shifting a whole axle out of place or losing one. 5.57 gears will allow me to run a little higher speed but the cruising speed is much better RPMs compared to the current. Almost a 10mph gain at 2150rpms. and the axle setup was basically a zero cost option to acquire. Plus the sale of the 16R21s and the rear axle assembly should basically be a + side difference. My main problem now with speed and power is that i can go from 40 to the governor in 16th gear in under about 8 seconds so. yeah quick to top out.

Should be a nice weekend but Maybe a week long project if I can get a good weather outlook.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
What about ratio mismatch with the front? You will never be 6x6 again?
I have actually acquired a 5.55 ratio from a old Mack dump truck with the top loader if I ever get around to getting a transfer case that will work I will handle that in the long run. The HEMTT cases just aren't abundant anymore and finding anything military that is not underdrive is hard to find that can handle the power. I did find a RS480 front steer axle that has the same 5.57 ratio if i wanted to go that route.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks