• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5 Turbo Diesel w/ crate. Iron planet purchase.

daveiaff

Rolled the dice on this one, need the cross over manifold. Going to try to start in crate. Questions??? Will starter bolt up without bell housing?, I going to remove valve covers check that each valve is moving, then maybe a bleed down test if I can get right gauges. Then a compression test while cranking. I'll test glow plugs and mock up a harness to fire them up for a few seconds. Thoughts or comments welcomed. Thanks. IMG_4930.jpg

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rolled the dice on this one, need the cross over manifold. Going to try to start in crate. Questions??? Will starter bolt up without bell housing?, I going to remove valve covers check that each valve is moving, then maybe a bleed down test if I can get right gauges. Then a compression test while cranking. I'll test glow plugs and mock up a harness to fire them up for a few seconds. Thoughts or comments welcomed. Thanks. View attachment 762159
I would pull the glow plugs and check the valves using a breaker bar before trying to fire it up. Maybe put some lube in the cylinders.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the condition code? Looks like an "F". Looks like a GM too. Remember, nobody spent 12 hours to R&R that just for shiggles.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
We've put starters on 6.2s in the crate with slight modifications to the rear can mount. I would imagine that motor would work too.

daveiaff

I just had a 6.5 NA through a machine shop, .20 bore and had to get new heads, so prepared for worst case scenario. Hoping for best, with motor in crate I can take my time and wheel out of the way when bored with it.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just had a 6.5 NA through a machine shop, .20 bore and had to get new heads, so prepared for worst case scenario. Hoping for best, with motor in crate I can take my time and wheel out of the way when bored with it.

Hope you didn’t pay much, if anything for it. You have less the 1% chance of that motor being any good.
there are plenty of take out turbo engines out on the market for “AFAIC” quite cheap.

Barrman

You will need to move the rear engine mount back a few inches to allow a starter motor to fit.

Basically, unbolt the rear cross bar from the engine and the can. The engine will sit there just fine without the rear support. Slide the cross bar back until it wants to drop off the rack it is sitting on. That is how far back it needs to be. I have used 2 x 2 angle iron and I have also used 2 inch flat strap to bolt it back in depending on what I had sitting around. Pipe can be cut for the engine bolts to space it out or several 1/2 inch nuts stacked on the longer bolts you will have to buy work as well.

Make sure you install the starter support bracket before you try anything with a starter. You will also need to loop the oil cooler ports or oil will fly an amazingly far distance across your work area.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks