• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct (3) Color Camo Patterns

CES 3245th

Based on RAPCO paint color charts on their website are these the correct (3) color camo patterns for a 1983 U.S.M.C. M923A1 5-Ton truck?

Any help from the Bullpen would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance!

CAMO Paint Pattern.JPGCAMO Paint Pattern.JPG

Dead pilot

If you are going to use the current 3 color with the 383 brown, then you should use the 383 green. The black would stay the same.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
No CARC paint, it did not exist in 83 use started in 85. Most of the early Corps truck I have seen were just Green or 4 color MERC cammo. I am not a Marine truck expert, but truck pic's from 83, I see only green or MERC 2cents

1983americangeneralm923militarycargotruck-9.jpg m936_wrecker_02_700.jpg
1983 939 pic's
usmc.jpeg
1987 pic

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For clarification -

34052 "Marine Green" is the overall colour used prior to camouflage.

First camouflage applied in the post-34052 era was 4-colour MERDC, mid '70s (Winter Verdant was the most common scheme with the Marines)

Mid-1980s on, camo (unless it is 686 tan) would be the 383 used by all the services, with the same colours -
34094 Green
30051 Brown
911 Flat Black

Regardless of how your truck was painted from the factory in 1983 (likely MERDC, that's how our first M939 series trucks arrived), it would have been repainted in 383 later, in the mid to late '80s (and tan after that if it went to the sandbox).

The patterns are in manual TB 43-0209 in the Technical Manuals section.
Here's a link https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?187621-camouflage-TB-complete

Cheers

PS - the M923 MWMules posted above is not an active Marine truck, it is someone's personally owned truck painted the way they wanted it. The markings are inaccurate. Holler if you need help with how USMC vehicles are marked.

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Good snag Rory, I should have caught it by the Radial tires as not being in 83, turns out Pic came from a civi auction. BTW when did the A1's start?
in-the-rain-rows-of-m923-5-ton-trucks-from-the-marines-5th-battalion-10th-marine-b1dfa8-1600.jpg
[h=1]In the rain, rows of M923 series 5-ton trucks from the Marines 5th Battalion 10th Marine Regiment on a Unit Deployment Program [UDP] to 3d Battalion 12th Marine Regiment, begin a convoy after arriving in Sendai Port to Ojojihara, Japan 2002[/h]

https://youtu.be/KDiF0JeSQsM

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTW when did the A1's start?
I don't have the answer to that Dave. By personal observation, I know the Marines were putting 14.00s on M809 and M939 (A0) series trucks mid to late 1980s, before the A1 started being delivered, but I don't know if that inspired the A1, or if it was already on the horizon. David Doyle, or someone with his kind of knowledge, is going to have to answer that.
We called the 14.00 trucks Big Foot.

An incidental bit of information - the Marines did not use the M939A2s, by that point they were looking at the MTVR instead.

I'd love to find one of those USMC license plates they used in Japan.

CES, glad to be of help

Cheers

Arny

I just came across this thread using the search function.
Really thought about a looong time of how I want my M923 repainted and came across the following picture.
Does anyone know what kind of camo this is? Looks something like MERDC but with only 3 colors and they also seem to look different from standard.

Cheers Arndt
3076086732_f06c2a966f_b.jpg

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should have caught it by the Radial tires as not being in 83.

I thought M939s came with G177 tires from the factory? It seems rare to find an M939 on NDTs, even low mileage original (non-rebuilt) trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks