• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

lds4651a "TD" thick deck or not?

63ragtop

i have a 1966 m54a2 with a rebuild tag on the engine from 1981. i am doing the head gaskets with the upgraded integral fire ring gaskets, and i am trying to figure out if i have the "TD" mark on the block or not, so i know to torque the head bolts to 130ft/lbs or to 157ft/lbs according to the TM. i will try to get pictures of my block to show why i ask this question, but here it is in the best words i can think of (which isn't much lol).

the engine ID tag has extra holes like it has been on a different block before. the tag also seems to be in the exact location that the TM says to look for the "TD" identification casting. there is another casting behind where the turbo would be that is close to saying "TD", or ID, or IO, i can't quite tell. i am tempted to remove the engine ID plate to see if there is some markings behind it?

anyways, has anyone seen this before? i know the military does some weird stuff on these trucks, like mixing ldt and lds parts. i just want to know is there any other way to tell if it is a thick deck block or not? i don't want to remove the engine ID tag if there is another way.

can i measure the head studs? measure the depth of the thread pockets? i do have one of the studs that came out during the head removal.

i will admit i am not very good in searching this forum for this information (sorry,i have tried), any help appreciative, thanks!

63ragtop

I found this picture. Looking like I don't have a thick deck, unless they put the mark in different places? 20190419_134836.jpg

This TM seams to indicate that it is in another location.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree.

63ragtop

One more question for you doghead is:
I will torque it in 4 steps to 130ft/lbs, and since I have the upgraded head gaskets, do I retorque after a few hours, or is it not required like I have read here on other posts for the better gaskets? My gaskets did not come with any torque specs or procedures.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think you will need to re-torque them.

Maybe other will have advice as well.

63ragtop

I have built a lot of gasoline turbo & N/A high compression engines, and I have retorqued many times. It doesn't hurt to retorque on my past experiences, but I read somewhere on here that it may even be not good to retorque. I would naturally default to "it doesn't hurt to retorque" even retorque every valve adjustment. If I am wrong, please let me know! This is my first diesel type engine.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My personal opinion is, the new style gasket does not need to be re-torqued.

Combined with the fact you do not have a thick deck bloc, I recommend you do not re-torque.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks