• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wheel/tire options - budget minded?

McSpeed

I'm looking for basic "custom" cast wheels in the 18" or so variety that would update the looks a bit, and give me a more common wheel/tire for service and use. Tires are in great shape on my M998, but they are "aged" and I don't feel comfortable with them running over hot summer time roads at speed. Over the years, I've purchased a wide variety of cheap and high dollar wheel/tire combos. I'm no stranger to either end of the spectrum. I appreciate the value in high dollar wheels, but don't have any desire to go that direction here. I'd rather spend that kind of cash towards a four speed trans and our four man top - but tires are needed now.

Right now I'm running into high dollar wheel/tire combos for Humvees and I'm positive there is an alternative since we can purchase fairly cool more budget minded wheel/tire combos for many standard full size 4x4 trucks. I don't care for the stock style H1 alloy wheels.

Noting - budget is a matter of relativity.

With that being said, what options are you guys finding out there? Maybe even any stock take-offs from any other style civilian trucks????

springer1981

I've been looking for options as well. Local tire place quoted me 5 (I have a spare) 17x9.5 steel wheels with Falken 37x12.5x17 tires for $2500. I don't like the look of the fancy style wheels myself, these are plain black wheels.

The more I look, I think I would prefer the BFGoodrich All-Terrain TA KO2 https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tir...-r17-124-r--rwl?fromResultList=&zipCode=04330

All the other tires available tend to be MT (Mud Terrain). I want something more road worthy and better in snow conditions. If your plan is more off road the MT might be a better choice. I have been having a harder time finding tires in the 12.5 range with 18" wheels. I don't really want to change the width and profile of the truck with wider or larger tires.

Last edited:

JoeJrTheBarber

Black Rhino makes a wheel in 17" and 18" sizes which looks very "military" and is not priced all too bad.
I run them in a 17x9.5 with a Cooper Discover STT Pro tire in a 40x13.5x17 size..
Wheel1.jpgSpring.jpg
My tires were more then the wheels themselves !

DREDnot

The more I search around on this subject, the more I realize what an orphan the HMMWV tire size is if you want a skinnier, less aggressive tire.

I want to try some CUCV wheels with something 275/100R16 size...but there isn't much to choose from

springer1981

The issues I have been finding with wheels is the stock wheel offset is high. I have to do some measuring myself but it looks like +50mm (about 2"). With the 8.5" wide wheel that is about 6.25" back spacing.

The Black Rhino wheels are +6mm (about .25"). With a 9.5" wide wheel that's about 5" back spacing.

To calculate the difference of how much it will stick out farther than the stock wheel, Subtract the back spacing and add half the width difference. 6.25 - 5 = 1.25 then add .5" giving a total 1.75" that it will stick out on each side, 3.5" total. I'm trying to find an option that keeps the overall width.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Backspacing is the biggest problem. On top of alot of civi trucks are not 8 on 6.5s anymore for many newer wheels. Common tires for decent prices is actually gonna be the surplus 37s. 2016 17 date coded tires are around 1200 a set in the MT/Rs. Compared to the $800 each on tire rack.

lowell66dart

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your on a budget Dodge has a steel 17 inch wheels that I think looks ok if painted the body color. I found these for $100 a set. I will try and post pics. I was going to mount some 40's on these but changed directions. They are now headed to my M880. I went with H2 wheels and Firestone tires. Balanced with hardly any weight and veryIMG_1075.jpg different ride and handling.

springer1981

If your on a budget Dodge has a steel 17 inch wheels that I think looks ok if painted the body color. I found these for $100 a set. I will try and post pics. I was going to mount some 40's on these but changed directions. They are now headed to my M880. I went with H2 wheels and Firestone tires. Balanced with hardly any weight and veryView attachment 762674 different ride and handling.
What is the rim width? I have been doing a lot of wheel research and later today I am posting in my build thread about wheels, offsets etc. I found some stock Dodge steel wheels as well. Do you know what year those are from? Thanks

springer1981

this is a H2 wheel? Would any 2500 or 3500 GM truck also work then?
From what I found, link in my post above, no not all 2500 and 3500 wheels will work for several different reasons. Any stock size wheel typically isn't wide enough for suggested rim width for mounting tires that fit the HMMWV's. That is typically 37x12.50 tires.

Also the Wheel offset and back spacing would have the wheels sticking out several inches farther on each side.

Not all 2500 and 3500 use the correct bolt pattern. They need to be 8x6.5 or 8x165.1 (metric equivalent).

Last the center hub diameter on some are too small though some could be opened up.

Still the other issues above will likely prevent using stock GM wheels. There might some that fit but I didn't come across any that would fit good.

Patryn

Not 100% your budget request. I went with 20x9 Panzer XDs and some 37x12.5x20 Thunderer tires. Sorry for the in progress picture but I am still working on mine, thus the no hood in this pic. Tires and wheels were like $2300, (did catch a local sale on rims so maybe more like $2500 total for all 4)

image2 (3).jpgimage1 (6).jpg

McSpeed

So, our stock tire size is 37 x 12.5 x 16.5...right? Are there any aftermarket tires in this size or perhaps up to 40" that would go on the stock rim?

I'm having a hard time searching those too. 17" - no problem. But 16.5 is.

I date stamp checked my tires - they were all made in 2008 and starting to get cracks between tread. They otherwise look new - but aged tires can be very dangerous of courses.

McSpeed

Not 100% your budget request. I went with 20x9 Panzer XDs and some 37x12.5x20 Thunderer tires. Sorry for the in progress picture but I am still working on mine, thus the no hood in this pic. Tires and wheels were like $2300, (did catch a local sale on rims so maybe more like $2500 total for all 4)

View attachment 763536View attachment 763537

Those look PERFECT. I love them. Sending my kid to Aviation camp this summer and a trip to see his uncle in Alaska. That has wiped out my budget! But, I'd be all over those and I think that is a reasonable price for all.

broylz

I have pro comp la paz wheels and bfg ko2s in my amazon wish list. Back spacing will stick out slightly but I dont mind that too much. Just waiting on my like new military tires to wear down a bit more. I'm going with the ATs to save a couple mpg and have better wet weather traction since I daily my m998.
The pro comp alloys and ko2s will shave around 40# off each corner as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks