• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wheel/tire options - budget minded?

McSpeed

I have pro comp la paz wheels and bfg ko2s in my amazon wish list. Back spacing will stick out slightly but I dont mind that too much. Just waiting on my like new military tires to wear down a bit more. I'm going with the ATs to save a couple mpg and have better wet weather traction since I daily my m998.
The pro comp alloys and ko2s will shave around 40# off each corner as well.
what size tires?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been lurking on this thread for a while, and I just don't get it. Not in a bad way, but why swap awesome looking HMMWV rims?

Now one of the things I believe in is that everyone should customize the way they see fit, so this is not me saying not to do it. It is just that one of the things I LOVE about the my HMMWV are the stock rims. I like the look as well as the easy serviceability if they get damaged.

All the wheel and tire options on this thread look great, but I think with many of them it is because they are being manufactured to look like stock rims.

If I was drag racing or going on weekly 2K trips, I might understand weight and fuel issues.

I'm not a purist or anything, but wouldn't $2-3K buy and install a turbocharged engine or a 4 speed tranny or buy at least 2 and a half X-doors?

I really like everyone's vehicles here, and I'm not trying to be difficult, but do the new rims really make these vehicles drive any better or faster or significantly affect mileage?

Is control and handling really improved by a wow factor? (Serious question - I really am interested in the opinions of members who swapped rims).

Am I wrong, and am I turning into a purist or something?

Last edited:

springer1981

I've been lurking on this thread for a while, and I just don't get it. Not in a bad way, but why swap awesome looking HMMWV rims?
I love the stock rims. I hate the tire choices for 16.5" rims. The only options are MT's - Mud Tires. I want AT's - All Terrain Tires. I have to switch to a 17" rim to have any choices. It the only reason I'm looking for different rims.

DatGuyC

I love the stock rims. I hate the tire choices for 16.5" rims. The only options are MT's - Mud Tires. I want AT's - All Terrain Tires. I have to switch to a 17" rim to have any choices. It the only reason I'm looking for different rims.
+1 but I'm going to add that the stock wheels with runflats ride like garbage most of the time. I'm hoping that moving up to 17's without the runflat improves the ride a bit.

McSpeed

I'm liking the idea of those Dodge Ram steel rims (for now) but...aren't they 1" or so more narrow than a stock Humvee wheel?

I need to do something soon - we are in the good driving season...and I just don't trust these old tires at 55 mph on hot roads.

springer1981

I'm liking the idea of those Dodge Ram steel rims (for now) but...aren't they 1" or so more narrow than a stock Humvee wheel?

I need to do something soon - we are in the good driving season...and I just don't trust these old tires at 55 mph on hot roads.
The stock wheels are 8.5" and the Dodge are 8" In my thread I detail the differences in what tires fit. 37x12.50x17 have a wheel width of 8.5-10.5". I suspect you could put them on a 8" wheel but it is just outside the recommended width. There is a tire manufacturer that makes a 37x11.50x17 that is recommended for 7.5-9.5" width.

McSpeed

The stock wheels are 8.5" and the Dodge are 8" In my thread I detail the differences in what tires fit. 37x12.50x17 have a wheel width of 8.5-10.5". I suspect you could put them on a 8" wheel but it is just outside the recommended width. There is a tire manufacturer that makes a 37x11.50x17 that is recommended for 7.5-9.5" width.
Yep, and I don't feel good about squeezing on to the rim - even if only .5 more narrow. Not a big fan of running a more narrow tire in general either.

McSpeed

**UPDATE**

I toyed with the idea of getting the Treadright tires. I went to their website and got a quote. Excellent prices and claims a two year warranty "free shipping" to the front door. But...I went to the BBB and saw they don't have a good rep there. I also tried calling them three times now and left messages looking to confirm the "remold" is of the same load rating as original. No return call.

So...now that I added the camper shell I'm more concerned than ever of my aged tires. I found a set of load rating E Super Swampers new shipped to my door around $400 per tire. Don't have them yet - but now I'm weighing out the runflat/beadlock option.

I see some people remove the run flat and just go with normal air and don't air it down to rock crawler PSI with no problems. Claim they ride better and are easier to balance. On the other hand, there is the bead lock insert. I see that trailworthy fab has a PVC insert that will bead lock and allow low tire pressure without dropping the tire off the rim. The other option is to put the runflat back in and go with it. I watched a video of a guy that just used a basic 12 ton hydraulic bottle jack. He used that to stretch the insert and dropped it right in the new tire. Easy peasy - also using the engine hoist looks like THE way to get it out and apart.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
**UPDATE**

I toyed with the idea of getting the Treadright tires. I went to their website and got a quote. Excellent prices and claims a two year warranty "free shipping" to the front door. But...I went to the BBB and saw they don't have a good rep there. I also tried calling them three times now and left messages looking to confirm the "remold" is of the same load rating as original. No return call.

So...now that I added the camper shell I'm more concerned than ever of my aged tires. I found a set of load rating E Super Swampers new shipped to my door around $400 per tire. Don't have them yet - but now I'm weighing out the runflat/beadlock option.

I see some people remove the run flat and just go with normal air and don't air it down to rock crawler PSI with no problems. Claim they ride better and are easier to balance. On the other hand, there is the bead lock insert. I see that trailworthy fab has a PVC insert that will bead lock and allow low tire pressure without dropping the tire off the rim. The other option is to put the runflat back in and go with it. I watched a video of a guy that just used a basic 12 ton hydraulic bottle jack. He used that to stretch the insert and dropped it right in the new tire. Easy peasy - also using the engine hoist looks like THE way to get it out and apart.
While it may work to run a tire without the bead lock on one of these, the sealing surfaces are different angles/design than your standard tire without a bead lock system, so most of us recommend at least doing the PVC insert if you're going away from the run flat.

If you are going to be buying new tires anyway, with no plans to do any major air downs for off roading, you might look at changing to a conventional rim in a standard size. Will make finding tires in the future easier, and more likely to be available locally.

McSpeed

While it may work to run a tire without the bead lock on one of these, the sealing surfaces are different angles/design than your standard tire without a bead lock system, so most of us recommend at least doing the PVC insert if you're going away from the run flat.

If you are going to be buying new tires anyway, with no plans to do any major air downs for off roading, you might look at changing to a conventional rim in a standard size. Will make finding tires in the future easier, and more likely to be available locally.
I think I'm going to do the PVC insert. I already bought the tires in 16.5 - they will be here soon. I would love to do a standard rim - that's what I started out after...but I argue against myself on that for other reasons.

McSpeed

Does anybody know if the stock max tire psi of 30 on the Humvee is due to the tire or the rim? My new tires can go to 65 psi at 2,900 lbs of load per tire. They are radial. But at 32.5 psi they will support a combined total gvw of 8,000 lbs.

McSpeed

Never mind - just looked. My rims are stamped max tire pressure 50 psi. Based on the calculations of load, I'll never have a need to run over 35 psi, and the tires are okay with that (the Super Swampers).

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yup. the rims are the limit for you. 12 bolt and 24 bolt evenly spaced rims are 50psi, the 24 bolt rims where they are paired bolts are 65psi, mainly for heavy armored trucks.
Just avoid any 8 bolt rims as they're lower pressure.

McSpeed

New tires came yesterday! AWESOME tires! I also spent time talking to Super Swamper. Really nice people. The tread is pretty different than the stock tires. The inserts are coming next and the o-rings...then the fun. By fun I mean hours of misery...but the pay off will be good when I have nice new sticky "SAFE" rubber on there!

McSpeed

Got the tires installed. It took hours, but wasn't all that bad with the right technique. I posted to another thread here a video link. Hopefully it will help somebody in the future that is contemplating it. Thanks for all the input while I tried to make the best decision for my wallet and skill level.

danom885

From what I found, link in my post above, no not all 2500 and 3500 wheels will work for several different reasons. Any stock size wheel typically isn't wide enough for suggested rim width for mounting tires that fit the HMMWV's. That is typically 37x12.50 tires.

Also the Wheel offset and back spacing would have the wheels sticking out several inches farther on each side.

Not all 2500 and 3500 use the correct bolt pattern. They need to be 8x6.5 or 8x165.1 (metric equivalent).

Last the center hub diameter on some are too small though some could be opened up.

Still the other issues above will likely prevent using stock GM wheels. There might some that fit but I didn't come across any that would fit good.
Hi Springer,

New here. My 16yo son just bought a 77 M885 and we're dealing with wheels. We're about to (hopefully) open up the center of some 16" wheels and I wanted to ask for tips. Do they just get machined away, or do they somehow keep the rolled edge? Thanks much.

Reactions: OBX
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks