• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wheel/tire options - budget minded?

springer1981

Hi Springer,

New here. My 16yo son just bought a 77 M885 and we're dealing with wheels. We're about to (hopefully) open up the center of some 16" wheels and I wanted to ask for tips. Do they just get machined away, or do they somehow keep the rolled edge? Thanks much.
There is no exact answer to this because there are too many different ways the wheels can be made. You would have to assess any given wheel yourself and decide what to do. In my case I just put it on a lathe and open it up but I have seen others where people have just taken a die grinder to the inside diameter. Also you have to make sure you know the difference between Hub Centric and Lugnut Centric wheels and start with the correct ones. In a Hub Centric wheel the hub bore is critically important and those wheels can't be used in Lugnut Centric applications.

Reactions: OBX

mccullek

Black Rhino makes a wheel in 17" and 18" sizes which looks very "military" and is not priced all too bad.
I run them in a 17x9.5 with a Cooper Discover STT Pro tire in a 40x13.5x17 size..
View attachment 762289View attachment 762290
My tires were more then the wheels themselves !
I am really interested in a set of these for my M1097R1. Are these rims simply plug and play, or do you have make any changes to accommodate them?

Reactions: OBX
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks