• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water/Methanol Injection Install

Mos68x

Ok, I thought I would start a thread for my water/methanol injection install on my non-aftercooled 6CTA8.3 now that I’m done with the rebuild and this doesn’t really fit in that thread.

Thanks to a couple people I got the necessary info to get a good idea of the max size nozzle I needed for this application. Using Snow Performance’s nozzle selection guide, it looks like it’ll be a max of 375ml/min. Now here comes the tricky bit, I’m planning on having two separate water circuits. One for pre-turbo wet compression to help with boost lag at my high elevation (6000’). And the second will be solely for controlling EGTs.

I am torn on deciding how to control the first circuit. The first option will be inputs for RPM and boost pressure for a Teensy microcontroller to control duty cycle on pump. The second option will be purely mechanical in nature, with just a “boost sensor” line running from post-turbo to the water tank, which will pressure the tank and spray the water that way. Hopefully that way it’ll have only what is necessary to deal with the heat from compression. The second will be based solely on EGTs now that I have the EGT gauge installed and working. I’m not 100% sure that using this approach will deal with the boost lag, but I’m sure that I dial in a little extra at low RPM on the second circuit to help with that.

I've already sent an email to Snow Performance regarding individual nozzle sizes. Right now I’m thinking a single 100ml-175ml nozzle for the pre-turbo circuit and twin 100ml nozzles for post-turbo. That should put me a total of 300ml-375ml total injection, which according to their chart is what I’ll need for 250hp at 25+psi boost. We shall see what they say before I order any nozzles. Of course this means I’ll have to remove the intake manifold I just welded up so that I can add a couple threaded bungs for the nozzles, but oh well.

74M35A2

Do you even have the engine running yet? You can't even hold the rocker arms down, and you want to feed it wash fluid already? Sweet! Don't forget the pics.....

MAdams

I've ran water injection on a couple cars but never a diesel. I don't think pressurizing the water storage tank will work. The water pump works on over 100 psi to produce a fine mist. Plus, once the tank is pressurized it will continue to spray if you have a check valve installed. If no check valve is installed your boost sensor hose could suck back straight water.

You need to use pumps and that engine is bigger than my multifuel and i Have a 500ml nozzle installed currently had the 1000ml in at one point It ran well with that as well. Start with a 500ml.Check my Youtube channel Double Parked RC. You also must make sure if you run preturbo you have the nozzle as close to the blades as you can dead center so you dont produce droplets. I read Volvo did a pre turbo spray and it works well if done correctly will not errode the blades for 180k according to there testing and turbo will need a rebuild by then. I would do 500ml post turbo and 100ml ish range preturbo.

Mos68x

Do you even have the engine running yet? You can't even hold the rocker arms down, and you want to feed it wash fluid already? Sweet! Don't forget the pics.....
Lmao yes it is running and the rebuild is finished. I’m just waiting on an electric fuel pump and a new fuel filter but that isn’t part of the rebuild.

I've ran water injection on a couple cars but never a diesel. I don't think pressurizing the water storage tank will work. The water pump works on over 100 psi to produce a fine mist. Plus, once the tank is pressurized it will continue to spray if you have a check valve installed. If no check valve is installed your boost sensor hose could suck back straight water.
I’ve a couple videos where it is using boost pressure to drive injector pressure, but I vary well could have to use a pump, then I’ll just dial down the duty cycle.

You need to use pumps and that engine is bigger than my multifuel and i Have a 500ml nozzle installed currently had the 1000ml in at one point It ran well with that as well. Start with a 500ml.Check my Youtube channel Double Parked RC. You also must make sure if you run preturbo you have the nozzle as close to the blades as you can dead center so you dont produce droplets. I read Volvo did a pre turbo spray and it works well if done correctly will not errode the blades for 180k according to there testing and turbo will need a rebuild by then. I would do 500ml post turbo and 100ml ish range preturbo.
500? How much hp are you pushing with that motor? I know pre-turbo can be done without damage so I’m not as worried about, but yet I’m also only going to put in just enough pre-turbo to deal with the heat created from the turbo itself. The rest of the water will go to controlling EGTs post-turbo. I will do testing before final assembly I’m just trying to avoid having to buy two separate pumps if I can do it.

I think with how i have my LDS set up I'mright at or just over 200hp. You can look at an electric valve setup possibly. Id definitely get a good pump though dont go cheap been there done that.

Mos68x

I’ve talked it through with snow performance and they have suggested a single 175ml pre-turbo and twin 225ml post-turbo. After a little thought I think I will reroute the air compressor inlet to the side of the intake tube that is hard mounted to the cab before it meets the first rubber connection in the engine bay.

MAdams

How large of a tank are you planning on having? My math says you'll be pumping 10 gallons per hour. I could see running through 40 gallons on a weekend trip. I'd start with small nozzles and work up to your desired egt's.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

74M35A2

I’d use air pressure of the truck as the pump. Something like a propane tank, washer fluid in it, hooked to the truck air system. This is 100-120psi driver, blowing into 30psi of intake pressure. Should be fine, simple, and reliable. I’d add a low level alarm somehow. You don’t want to know you are out of juice by watching your pistons liquify....or your rocker arms falling off.

Last edited:
I have a 10.4 gallon stainless Jerry can I have one nozzle 500ml post turbo set to 955F For the alarm that signal is sent to a 100amp Solid state relay 24v that activates the 12v side for pump. I wountnt use air it'll cost more to set up correctly and safely I got the Snow pump new for about 100$. I'll post a video up of my revised setup if you need it. I have the AEM Nozzle kit. I also have the Auber 24v multi gauge.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks