• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 vs b1

Saberr

Been looking into getting an m37. I have come across a few, but i was wondering, m37 vs b1. I know b1 came latter and engine/tranny are different. I also realize b1 "may" have Packard connectors, and different spare tire mounting. I read up as well that there was a few slight different changes, but not quite sure. What i was wondering is if the m37 were better/ more desirable than b1's ? Also are b1's better for parts, and reliability with the different power plant and refinements? I also heard a rumor, even touched on some what in this forum that metal changed, so b1 are more susceptible to rust ? Do you guys have any suggestions on ether to look at ? Also what would a decent price be for a solid runner, that's mostly complete ? And does anyone know what else changes were? Thx for your guys input, I've looked around and a lot, forums touch on differences, but don't go into more detail. Like i can't find difference between two power plants, except there parts aren't cross compatible (excluding Canada model)

Bill W

Engines are the same only Canadian model had different engine ( & Tranny). B1 came with a NP420 tranny with ever so slightly gearing change. B1 has turn signals. I believe the rust issue is a myth, though in 1957ish Detroit went to a different type of sheet metal I don't think it affected the Heavier gauge that they used on the 37 but thats just my opinion. Everything between the models are interchangeable with the exception of the passenger side troop seat.

ez8

I have a '63 B1. It has Douglas style connectors, but Packards will connect to Douglas connectors with no issue. The internal male and female parts are the same. I don't have anything more than superficial rust on mine (it's called Patina, and it increases value! 8)). Mine was in a non-running state when I bought it, but it had been sitting for 15 years and just needed a tune up, new brakes/brake lines and lubrication to get running again. No problems thus far.

I think you could probably get a "good" one from either species for about $5k. It may have some character to its outside, but you'll have the start of a good running truck that you'll probably need to wrench on to bring back to life.

nattieleather

The B1 also has the spare tire mounted on the drivers door. I also believe the B1s transmission is synchronized, but I may be wrong and someone else may prove or disprove that. My 53 was a rusty mess that I've had to slowly reconstruct over the last few years so I don't think there is much difference in the metals between a 37 and 37b1 just depends on where its been sitting and how its been used since taken out of military service. ez8 was correct on the price a truck in good condition but needs some TLC can go around 4-6K.

ez8

The B1 also has the spare tire mounted on the drivers door. I also believe the B1s transmission is synchronized, but I may be wrong and someone else may prove or disprove that.
Good point about the door mount tire. A very inconvenient mounting, especially under fire I would assume!
I can confirm the B1 transmission is not synchronized. 1 to 2 are not synchronized, 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 are, though.

Bill W

Good point about the door mount tire. A very inconvenient mounting, especially under fire I would assume!
I can confirm the B1 transmission is not synchronized. 1 to 2 are not synchronized, 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 are, though.
Both early M37 ( NP400 ) and later B1 ( NP420 ) trannies were syncroed between 2-3 and 3-4.

teletech

I never drove an M37 but did buy a Canadian B1. Many times I saw people complaining about the engine performance of the M37 and when I chimed in that mine seemed OK the reply was always "that's because your engine was a lot bigger". 251 vs 230 didn't seem like that big a jump but I guess it's a fair bit more torque as well, or at least just enough to make it reasonable to drive on the highway.

Bill W

251 vs 230 didn't seem like that big a jump but I guess it's a fair bit more torque as well, or at least just enough to make it reasonable to drive on the highway.
You are correct.
I've driven in both and the Canadians got it right by going with the 251.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks