• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drilling, tapping lubricant brand and product info Suggestions request

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
This explains
https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Sharpen-Used-and-Dull-Drill-Bits-By-Hand/

A drill doctor will sharpen up to 3/4" twist drills and create a chisel point if desired. After 55 years of sharpening by hand I bought a Drill Doctor 750EX as I have no longer access to my machine shop diamond wheels. One may limit the metal removal, and new diamond sharpening wheels for the DD are cheap.
At 144 bucks delivered and ability to change away from 118° it is well worth it. I had nothing to sharpen my masonry carbide twist drills and it does a fine job on them also..

So one off the statements is the twist drills wear out and am going to drill a lot of holes.
Here is a small part of the explanation.
which angle .jpg

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I seldom drill a hole without using a combination drill and countersink to spot it. It can assist with getting thru a "hot rolled" layer of crap too. A twist drill properly used will have a nice chip coming off both sides.
My can of drilling tapping juice that the contractors left in 1981 is almost out. It is a nice foamy oil stuff. Can is so old the label disintegrated but I found a replacement as pictured. It does all I need to do around the house and the truck. Good stuff cheap.
For tapping I use lard from making bacon. Works real good.
Lard is pork fat
Tallow is beef or sheep fat.
Schmaltz is chicken or duck fat.
Blubber from whales is probably good too but never used any.
IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
and how did all this begin?
\
The twist drill bit was invented by Steven A. Morse who received U.S. Patent 38119 for his invention 'Improvements of Drill-Bits' in 1863. The original method of manufacture was to cut two grooves in opposite sides of a round bar, then to twist the bar to produce the helical flutes. This gave the tool its name.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
It is called a twist drill, NOTa bit
bits are for wood and puters

Must study now but ...............................

April 7, 1863 A fleet of 9 Union ironclads under the command of Samuel Dupont sailed into Charleston Harbor and attacked Fort Moultrie and Fort Sumter. Sumter is visibly damaged but the Confederate batteries from the shore heavily damage the 9 ironclads and they are forced to withdraw. Naval occupation of the harbor is ruled out.
View attachment twist drill .pdf

See the patent date.
Some knew how to drill holes and some did NOT

NormB

For tap and die operations: Tap magic.

For drilling - drill press or mill or hand drill - same or WD40.

Milling: WD40 or soluble oil/water mix.

FWIW.

gentrysgarage

Nobody asked
Hi Frank I was thinking it was more a rhetorical question (or cliffhanger question) to be followed up with another informative post. Sorry I didn't catch it. Was super busy this weekend with a fruitless Swap Meet event. I packed the 1992 Dodge 3/4 ton long bed extended cab loaded to over the brim in the bed and cab of British preunit motorcycle parts.But Monday I got some cool tools
IMG_2328.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks