• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USCG-11 1942 WWII 75th D-Day Rescue Boat Display Event (Seattle, WA - 6/5 to 6/9)

Come check out our progress of the restoration of this piece of history. We will be having our first public viewing of the USCG-11, a 1942 83ft wooden hulled Coast Guard cutter that served as a rescue vessel during the 1944 Normandy D-Day landings. We have a long way to go, but feel it's important to share this project with the public and to honor our country's servicemen and women on the 75th Anniversary of the D-Day landings.The event will be held at the North Dock of the Museum of History and Industry in Seattle, WA from June 5th through June 9th

More info here:

https://www.facebook.com/USCGTiburon/

https://www.facebook.com/events/637137120082726/

Attachments

Last edited:

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Thank You and the Participants of the refurbishing of part of the History of D-Day. The hours needed in the restoration of any Sea going Vessel is a huge task. The many hours of labor and specialized materials that are needed to bring back into ship shape I hope are something that your organization can overcome.

A little off topic, But some years ago my Wife was in the hospital for a stay with having our second born. On the night of June 5th at 2300hrs the doctor and nurses rush in and say c section right away and I ask if the delivery can wait till after midnight so that my Daughter can be born on D-Day?

The d o c t o r then says "What Is D-DAY?" 30 year old female doctor says that we cant wait. I TOLD that doctor that until you go and get on a computer and find out what D-DAY is that you will not deliver my Daughter.

The hospital sends up 2 Security Guards and call the local Police. By now the Police and hospital Security now know what is happening and the Wife has one thing on Her MIND and that is to deliver an 8 and a half pound Baby.
Now I get to sit in a cruiser for the next hour and get to come back in when the Baby has been born. So the Police and I go to my Wifes hospital room and I enter and She says that "I just had to make it a memorable occasion." And I asked if "I had won?" And She said "NO." And then the doctor comes in and says, "And we did Win WWII."

The next day I see my Father in Law, a WWII Combat Veteran, Pacific Theater Sherman Tanks, Philippines, Russ asked if I had "made an impression on the hospital staff last night." HE knew already, I did not think and said that "I wanted to Honor You with my Daughter being born on D-Day." He said that we will call her
"D Minus One"." I said that is funny because my Father called me D Minus in High School." I think of Russ every time I look at my Daughter. And every June 6th I call the hospital and remind them what day it is.

Good Luck with your endeavors on USCG-11

And lets do not forget about the Merchant Marine.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank You and the Participants of the refurbishing of part of the History of D-Day. The hours needed in the restoration of any Sea going Vessel is a huge task. The many hours of labor and specialized materials that are needed to bring back into ship shape I hope are something that your organization can overcome.

A little off topic, But some years ago my Wife was in the hospital for a stay with having our second born. On the night of June 5th at 2300hrs the doctor and nurses rush in and say c section right away and I ask if the delivery can wait till after midnight so that my Daughter can be born on D-Day?

The d o c t o r then says "What Is D-DAY?" 30 year old female doctor says that we cant wait. I TOLD that doctor that until you go and get on a computer and find out what D-DAY is that you will not deliver my Daughter.

The hospital sends up 2 Security Guards and call the local Police. By now the Police and hospital Security now know what is happening and the Wife has one thing on Her MIND and that is to deliver an 8 and a half pound Baby.
Now I get to sit in a cruiser for the next hour and get to come back in when the Baby has been born. So the Police and I go to my Wifes hospital room and I enter and She says that "I just had to make it a memorable occasion." And I asked if "I had won?" And She said "NO." And then the doctor comes in and says, "And we did Win WWII."

The next day I see my Father in Law, a WWII Combat Veteran, Pacific Theater Sherman Tanks, Philippines, Russ asked if I had "made an impression on the hospital staff last night." HE knew already, I did not think and said that "I wanted to Honor You with my Daughter being born on D-Day." He said that we will call her
"D Minus One"." I said that is funny because my Father called me D Minus in High School." I think of Russ every time I look at my Daughter. And every June 6th I call the hospital and remind them what day it is.

Good Luck with your endeavors on USCG-11

And lets do not forget about the Merchant Marine.
What a beautiful - and as I see it - heartwarming story.
Being a guy that thinks somewhat globally, I must ask: In what city was your daughter born?
I ask this because if we assume that this memorable birth occurred within the United States, then D-Minus-One may have actually been born ON D-DAY being that the beaches of Normandy are 4-8 hours ahead of the States.

I know that June 6th is NOT shown on the Birth Certificate, BUT when we look at the REAL GLOBAL TIMING of her birth, she just might have been born at the very time of the commencement of the landing ops.

Sometimes, we have to think outside the box.... or in this instance... the delivery room.

Thoughts???

cucvmule

collector of stuff
You have grasped onto an interesting perspective on Sandra Belle's birth, as we named Sandra Belle after both our Mothers. However Chaplain, as my Daughter was born in St.Louis Mo. and as you have said so Eloquently, Qualifies for the time frame
I will Honor Russ by keeping my D-Minus 1 as I would wish, and Remember D-Day as a Great Day in history.

But I will ask Her this morning before Jr. High. My two are 26 years apart, and the Wife naturally looks at me weird on their Birthdays, another story for another time.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have grasped onto an interesting perspective on Sandra Belle's birth, as we named Sandra Belle after both our Mothers. However Chaplain, as my Daughter was born in St.Louis Mo. and as you have said so Eloquently, Qualifies for the time frame
I will Honor Russ by keeping my D-Minus 1 as I would wish, and Remember D-Day as a Great Day in history.

But I will ask Her this morning before Jr. High. My two are 26 years apart, and the Wife naturally looks at me weird on their Birthdays, another story for another time.

Surely, keep the special day for Sandra Bell as "her special day".
My comments were not meant to be critical "adjustments", just my mind wandering as it does on such topics.
I pray that all of y'all are blessed in all ways always, and that all of us join you in remembrances each June 6th of what D-Day meant for the whole world.

John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks